|Born||June 23, 1980|
|Residence||Little Rock, Mississippi|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
He is featured in the 2009 documentary Warrior Champions about American soldiers who lost limbs or suffered paralysis in Iraq, and their way to the 2008 Summer Paralympics in Beijing.
Clemons went to high school in Little Rock, Mississippi. He played football, basketball and baseball.
Clemons lost his leg in Baghdad, Iraq on February 21, 2005, when he and other soldiers were helping a group of soldiers whose car had hit gravel and tipped over. As they were helping, a roadside bomb exploded, and wounded some and killed others. In the first years since this happened, Clemons has worn a bracelet with the name of three soldiers who lost their lives; 1st Lt. Jason Timmerman, Staff Sgt. David Day and Sgt. Jesse Lhotka.
Clemons attended a clinic held by U.S. Paralympics at Brooke Army Medical Center in 2005, and then a Military Sports Camp, which was when he started track and field training. He first started competing in power lifting, but chose to commit to track and field in 2007.
He tried to qualify for the 2008 Summer Paralympics in Beijing, but did not make the cut. This is featured in the 2009 documentary Warrior Champions. He is now focusing on the 2012 Summer Paralympics in London.
He won the 100m (T42) at the U.S. Paralympics Track & Field National Championships, Tempe, Ariz, in 2008.
Clemons, Kortney; Briggs, Bill (2008). Amped: A Soldier's Race for Gold in the Shadow of War. John Wiley & Sons. p. 288. ISBN 978-0-470-28137-6.
- Warrior Champions: From Baghdad to Beijing, a documentary film by directors Brent Renaud and Craig Renaud.
- Iraq war vet outruns tragedy, regains athletic drive, USA Today, November 20, 2006
- Kortney Clemons, Hire Heroes USA
- Wounded veteran Kortney Clemons takes on Oscar Pistorius at the Paralympic World Cup, The Telegraph, May 23, 2009
- House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs - Statement of Sergeant Kortney Clemons, USA (Ret.), veterans.house.gov
- Kortney Clemons: A soldier's story of amputation, haitiamputees.msnbc.msn.com, March 19, 2010
- "Össur Americas".
- Iraq war vet outruns tragedy ; Bomb attack took his leg, but couldn't shake his confidence, USA Today, November 21, 2006
- Iraq war amputee seeks success on track, nbcsports.msnbc.com, 2006
- Wounded veterans fill Paralympic ranks, universalsports.com
- Warrior Champions: Behind the scenes with Craig Renaud, U.S. Paralympics, November 10, 2009
- Clemons' Road to London goes straight through Iraq, U.S. Paralympics, November 10, 2009
- "U.S. Paralympics - Features, Events, Results - Team USA". Team USA.
- "Ability Athletics helps Wounded Warriors focus on strengths".
- "Penn State Ability Athletics to host Run, Walk and Roll Mile Race Oct. 24".
- "BTN LiveBIG: Penn State premiere". Big Ten Network.
- Warrior Champions, Austin Film Festival
- "Stockton to host screening of 'Warrior Champions: From Baghdad to Beijing'". NJ.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kortney Clemons.|