Kosovan–Dutch relations are foreign relations between Kosovo[a] and the Netherlands. Kosovo declared its independence from Serbia on 17 February 2008 and the Netherlands recognised it on 4 March 2008. The Netherlands has an embassy in Pristina since 27 June 2008, and Kosovo opened an embassy in The Hague in November 2009. Relations between the two countries are considered to be good and the Netherlands offers it support to various projects in Kosovo with the goal of aiding the country in its transition to democracy.
The Netherlands participated in the 1999 NATO bombing of Yugoslavia, which resulted in a UN administration of Kosovo and then to eventual independence. The Netherlands currently has 7 troops serving in Kosovo as peacekeepers in the NATO led Kosovo Force. Originally there were 3,600 Dutch troops in KFOR.
Outside of the EU framework, the Netherlands uses the Matra Programme, of which Kosovo is a beneficiary, to organise projects in countries in Central and Eastern Europe to aide them in their transition to democracy and rule of law. In the case of Kosovo, the Dutch Embassy uses this programme to encourage cooperation between the Serbian and Albanian communities in the North of Kosovo.
Notes and references
|a.||^ Kosovo is the subject of a territorial dispute between the Republic of Kosovo and the Republic of Serbia. The Republic of Kosovo unilaterally declared independence on 17 February 2008, but Serbia continues to claim it as part of its own sovereign territory. The two governments began to normalise relations in 2013, as part of the Brussels Agreement. Kosovo has received formal recognition as an independent state from 111 out of 193 United Nations member states.|
- "The Netherlands recognises Kosovo" (Press release). Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 2008-03-04. Retrieved 2008-03-05.
- "The Netherlands opens embassy in Kosovo" Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, 27 June 2008 Link accessed 30/06/08
- "Misionet e Kosovës Jashtë" (in Albanian). Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Kosovo. 2009. Retrieved 26 November 2009.
- "Relations the Netherlands - Kosovo". Government of Netherlands. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- "Kosovo Force (KFOR)" www.nato.int Link accessed 21-07-09
|This article about foreign relations is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Kosovo-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Netherlands-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|