Kosrat Rasul Ali
|Kosrat Rasul Ali|
|Vice President of South Kurdistan|
June 14, 2005
|2nd Prime Minister of PUK-controlled Kurdistan|
26 April 1993 – 21 January 2001
|Political party||Patriotic Union of Kurdistan|
Kosrat Rasul Ali is a Kurdish politician and prominent member of Iraqi President Jalal Talebani's party: the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK). He served as Prime Minister for the PUK's as-Sulaymaniyah-based administration of Kurdistan from 1993 until 2001, when he was succeeded by Bahram Salih. Since the Kurdish reunification in 2005 he has served as Vice President to Kurdish President Massoud Barzani.
- Born 1952 in the oilrich village of Shiwashok near the city of Koya to a well-known family
- In 1975 becomes a member of the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) and partakes in the Aylul, (September) Revolution, which was a Kurdish movement led By Mustafa Barzani
- In the end of 1975 joins the Komala Party and supervises student activities
- In 1976, along with a number of his colleagues, he founded Kurdistan Students Group in Kerkuk
- In 1977, was arrested by the security agencies of the Ba'ath Party in Kirkuk for political activities; gets released in the same year as he confesses nothing
- After getting out of jail, he joins the Peshmarga fighters in the mountains. He took out 180,000 Iraqi Dinars from the agriculture market center in Erbil to give to the Peshmarga revolutionaries. It was a noticeable financial support for Peshmarga at the time.
- In 1981 becomes a politburo member of Komala and director of secret branches
- In 1984 becomes chief of the Fourth Center of PUK
- In 1985 gets injured in a battle; a year later, leads both the Fourth as well as the Third enters of PUK after they are merged. Remains in this post till 1988
- In 1991 participates in Kurdistan's March Uprisings and was one of the most prominent commanders of liberating Erbil and Kirkuk cities
- In 1992 elected as Member of Kurdistan Parliament
- In 1993 selected as the second prime minister of Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG)
- He plays a commanding role in the civil war in Kurdistan from 1996 till 1998
- In 1996 becomes KRG Prime Minister of the Suleimaniya administration
- In 2001 resigns from that post and becomes Executive Director of PUK politburo
- Becomes the PUK candidate to hold the position of Vise President of Kurdistan and does so in 2005 after the elections.