Kothavalasa railway station
View of a platform
|Location||Visakhapatnam-Aarku Road, Kothavalasa, Vizianagaram dt., Andhra Pradesh
|Elevation||209 m (686 ft)|
|Line(s)||Khurda Road-Visakhapatnam section of Howrah-Chennai main line
|Tracks||Broad gauge 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in)|
|Structure type||Standard (on ground station)|
|Zone(s)||East Coast Railway zone|
|Previous names||East Coast State Railway
Bengal Nagpur Railway
Source:Google maps, India Rail Info 57226
Kothavalasa railway station, located in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh, serves Kothavalasa in Vizianagaram district. It is a major freight transit point with iron ore rakes travelling from mines around Kirandul and Bailadila in Chhattisgarh to Visakhapatnam Port.
In 1960, Indian Railway took up three projects: the Kothavalasa - Araku - Koraput - Jeypore - Jagdalpur - Dantewara - Kirandaul line, the Jharsuguda - Sambalpur - Bargarh - Balangir - Titlagarh Project and the Biramitrapur - Rourkela - Bimlagarh - Kiriburu Project. All the three projects taken together were popularly known as the DBK Project or the Dandakaranya Bolangir Kiriburu Project(under Dandakaranya Project). The Kothavalasa-Kirandaul line was opened in 1966-67.
The Visakhapatnam - Kothavalasa - Araku - Koraput - Jeypore - Jagdalpur - Dantewara - Kirandul section was electrified in the year 1980-83.
The Bengal Nagpur Railway was nationalized in 1944.Eastern Railway was formed on 14 April 1952 with the portion of East Indian Railway Company east of Mughalsarai and the Bengal Nagpur Railway. In 1955, South Eastern Railway was carved out of Eastern Railway. It comprised lines mostly operated by BNR earlier. Amongst the new zones started in April 2003 were East Coast Railway and South East Central Railway. Both these railways were carved out of South Eastern Railway.
- "Major Events in the Formation of S.E. Railway". South Eastern Railway. Retrieved 2012-11-10.
- Baral, Chitta. "History of Indian Railways in Orissa" (PDF). Retrieved 2012-11-27.
- "History of Waltair Division". Mannanna.com. Retrieved 2013-01-02.
- "History of Electrification". IRFCA. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "IR History: Part - III (1900 - 1947)". IRFCA. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "Geography – Railway Zones". IRFCA. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- "IR History: Part - IV (1947 - 1970)". IRFCA. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
|Preceding station||Indian Railways||Following station|
|East Coast Railway zone|
|East Coast Railway zone||Terminus|