Koti and Chennayya
Koti and Chennayya (Tulu: ಕೋಟಿ ಚೆನ್ನಯ್ಯ Kōṭi Cennayya,) (Circa 1556 A.D to 1591 A.D.) are legendary twin heroes characterized in the Tulu epic of the same name, which is considered one of the two truly long epics of the Tuluva. The birthplace of Koti and Chennaya is Padumale in Puttur taluk, Dakshina Kannada. The story of these heroes may be taken to roughly five hundred years back, when reference to Ballads were made in the Tulu Padana. Koti and Chennayya were born to the Deye Baidethi of the Billava people of Tulu Nadu in the state of Karnataka. Owing to the brothers heroic deeds, they are worshipped and remembered as protectors. They died in combat near Yenmoor. Memorial temples called garadi "gymnasiums" have been built in the name of Koti and Chennayya all over Tulu Nadu.[better source needed]
In modern culture
- A movie based on the lives of Koti and Chennaya was made in Kannada and Tulu languages as Koti Chennayya Tulu film (1973)
- In 2007 another movie was made in Tulu which went to win the National Film Awards(54th).
- A project to make a TV serial in Kannada language based on Koti Chennaya is under making.
- "Shree Brahma Baidarkala Garodi Kshethra". kankanadygarodi.in. Retrieved 2016-09-25.
- "Birthplace of Koti, Chennaya may be the next tourist hub of Tulu Nadu". The Hindu. 2013-11-11. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- "Gardi - The Billawa Temple". Online webpage of Billava Balaga. Billava Balaga, Dubai. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-07-13.
- "'Koti Chennayya'Tulu film completes shooting". Online webpage of India Glitz. India Glitz. Retrieved 2007-07-13.
- "'Koti Chennaya' being Made into Serial in Kannada". Online webpage of Daiji World. Daiji World. Retrieved 2007-07-13.