Kotipalli railway station
|Indian Railway Station|
|Location||Kotipalli, East Godavari distt., Andhra Pradesh
|Elevation||14 m (46 ft)|
|Line(s)||Kakinada-Kotipally branch line|
|Platforms||1 (at ground level)|
|Tracks||Broad gauge 1,676 mm (5 ft 6 in)|
|Structure type||Standard (on ground station)|
|Zone(s)||South Central Railway|
The Kakinada-Kotipalli branch line was first laid in 1928, but was removed in 1940 with the onset of World War II. The British rulers, then ruling in India, were facing shortage of steel and took away the tracks for use somewhere else. The 45-kilometre-long (28 mi) line was relaid at a cost of Rs. 67 Crores (670 million). It was formally opened in November 2004. However, that was only a partly finished project.
The balance of the project
The total project envisaged construction of two lines – the first from Kakinada to Kotipalli, and the second from Kotipally to Narsapur via Amalapuram. The 2001-02 estimates for the Kotipalli-Narsapur line was Rs. 710 Crores (7.1 billion). The estimates are high because three bridges need to be constructed across three distributaries of the Godavari: first, a 5-kilometre-long (3.1 mi) bridge across the Gautami between Kotipalli and Mukteswaram, second, a bridge across Vainateya, between Bodasakurru and Pasarlapudi, and third, across the Vasista between Narsapur and Sakinetipally. In the context of limited resources for funding projects in India, it is a tall order, and funds are coming only in trickles, as for example Rs. 2 Crores (20million) spent in acquiring 110 acres of land. Obviously, such a project had high-profile backers such as G. M. C. Balayogi who was Speaker of the Lok Sabha from 1998-2002, and S.P.B.K. Satyanarayana Rao, former union minister and MP from Rajahmundry.
- "Konaseema". Andhra Pradesh Tourism. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- Kamath, K.V. "Kakinada-Kotipalli rail line evokes memories". The Hindu Business Line, 26 July 2004. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "Minister inaugurates Kakinada-Kotipalli rail line". The Hindu, 14 November 2004. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- Bhaskar, B.V.S. "Kotipalli-Narsapur railway line a myth or a reality". The Hindu, 4 May 2009. Retrieved 25 January 2013.
- "The Railway that never was:Narsapur-Kakinada". Retrieved 25 January 2013.
|Kakinada-Kotipalli Rail Bus|
|Kotapalli railway station|
|Preceding station||Indian Railways||Following station|
|South Central Railway zone||Terminus|