|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Map of Azad Kashmir with Kotli highlighted
|• Total||1,862 km2 (719 sq mi)|
|• Density||352/km2 (910/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+5)|
|Number of Tehsils||5|
The district of Kotli used to be a sub-division of Mirpur District until 1975. Before 1947, it was a part of the Jammu area. The district is bounded by the Indian part of Kashmir in the east, and by Mirpur District in the south and Rawalakot to its north. The district is divided into Six tehsils (sub-divisions):
- Kotli Tehsil
- Khuiratta Tehsil
- Fatehpur Thakiala-Nakyal Tehsil
- Sehnsa Tehsil
- Charhoi Tehsil
- Darlia Jattan Tehsil
According to the Alif Ailaan Pakistan District Education Rankings 2013, Kotli was ranked 32 out of 145 districts in Pakistan in terms of the quality of education. For facilities and infrastructure, the district is ranked 137 out of 145.
In 2014, Kotli achieved an education rank of 16 out of 146 districts in Pakistan. The district has an infrastructure score of 133 out of a total of 146 districts. A detailed picture of the district's education performance is also available online. 
In 2015 Alif Ailaan Pakistan District Education Rankings 2015, Kotli is now ranked 143 out of 148 districts in Pakistan in terms of the school infrastructure. In terms of the quality of education the district is ranked 18 out of 148 districts.
- Azad Kashmir government website
- "Alif Ailaan Pakistan District Education Rankings, 2013" (PDF). Alif Ailaan. Retrieved 2013-05-06.
- "Alif Ailaan Pakistan District Education Rankings, 2014" (PDF). Alif Ailaan. Retrieved 2014-05-06.
- (PDF). Alif Ailaan http://www.data.com.pk/edurankings/profiles/19005.pdf. Retrieved 2014-05-07. Missing or empty
- "Individual district profile link, 2015". Alif Ailaan. Retrieved 2015-05-06.