This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|• Chairman||KK Nazar|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||KL-10, KL-55|
Kottakkal, literally Land of the Fort) is a municipal town in Malappuram district in Kerala, southern India having 32 wards. It is located 12 km (7.5 mi) southwest of Malappuram, the district headquarters, and 12 km (7.5 mi) from Tirur Railway Station.
The National Highway 66 separates the municipality from Edarikode grama panchayat on some parts in the west. However, the fast developing Kottakkal urban area is now spread up to different parts of neighboring panchayats such as Edarikkodu.
Kottakkal, formerly known as "Sweta Durgam" (the White Fort) in Sanskrit, "Venkalikotta" and "Venkitta Kotta" in Malayalam, was a military base of the Kingdom of Valluvanadu in the medieval period. It was under the control of the Karuvayoor Moosad, the chief marshal and preacher of the Moopil Nairs. It may be the forts and castles constructed by the Karuvayoor Moosad that were the origin of the name "Kottakkal". The suburbs of Kottakkal were known as Changuvettikkadu and Eyyakkadu (now Changuvetti is developing as a twin town to Kottakkal).
Cherukunnu is a small town 4 km (2.5 mi) from Kottakkal, home to the Annapoorneshwari temple. Balaprobhodini school is the school and madrassa also exist behind the school. From cherukunnu to arichol a road has been opened.
The United Democratic Front won the first elections (held in October 2010) to the Kottakkal municipality. K.K.NAZAR and Paroli Moosakutty Haji of Indian Union Muslim League were elected as the Chairperson and Vice-Chairman respectively of the municipality.
- K C Manorama Thampuratti (eminent Sanskrit poet)
- K. C. Manavedan Raja (founder of Raja's High School, Zamorin of Calicut during 1932-1937)
- M. K. Vellodi (Indian civil servant, diplomat, former Cabinet Secretary)
- Dr K C K E Raja, formerVice Chancellor, Kerala University and Director General of HealthServices.
- U. A. Beeran
- P.S.Varier (founder of Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala)
- P. K. Warrier
- Kottakkal Sivaraman (eminent Kathakali artist)
- Kottakkal Madhu (Kathakali singer)
- M. P. Abdussamad Samadani (politician, MLA, former Member of Parliament)
- karuvakkottil ahhammed kutty haji left politician and form first erelected member of kottakkal panchyat￼￼￼h
Basic information of Kottakkal Municipality
|Area||20.43 km2 (7.89 sq mi)|
|Vehicle Registration No.||KL-55, KL-10 & KL-65|
|Neighbouring Panchayaths||Edarikode, Parappur, Othukkungal, Ponmala and Marakkara|
|Post Offices||Kottakkal, Puthoor, Indianoor, Pathayakkallu, Kuttippuram, Pandamangalam,|
- Railway Station: Tirur Railway Station is one of the major railway stations in the Malabar region. Almost every train stops here, connecting the Malappuram district to the rest of the country. It is located 12km away from the town.
- Nearest Airport: Calicut International Airport is approximately 25 kilometres away.
- Vengara, oorakam, Cherukulamba,Puthuparamba and Edarikode
- Indianoor Kavathikalam, Kozhichena, Marakkara, Maravattam Randathani, and Padapparamba
- Pang, Parappur, Pottippara, venniyoor and Vettichira
- Kottakkal in Wikimapia
- Kottakkal Municipality
- Documentary on Arya Vaidya Sala in Malayalam - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuPbz-etmMI
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kottakkal.|