|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Landscape of Kottakkal
|• Chairman||KK Nazar|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Kottakkal (Malayalam: കോട്ടക്കൽ, literally Land of the Fort) is a municipal town in Malappuram district in Kerala, southern India having 32 wards. It is located 12 km south-west of Malappuram, the district headquarters, and 12 km from Tirur Railway Station.
The National Highway 17 separates the municipality from Edarikkodu gram panchayat on some parts in the west. However, the fast developing Kottakkal urban area is now spread up to different parts of neighboring panchayats such as Edarikkodu.
Kottakkal, formerly known as "Sweta Durgam" (the White Fort) in Sanskrit, "Venkalikotta" and "Venkitta Kotta" in Malayalam, was a military base of the Kingdom of Valluvanadu in the medieval period. It was under the control of the Karuvayoor Moosad, the chief marshal and preacher of the Moopil Nairs. It may be the forts and castles constructed by the Karuvayoor Moosad that were the origin of the name "Kottakkal". The suburbs of Kottakkal were known as Changuvettikkadu and Eyyakkadu (now Changuvetti is developing as a twin town to Kottakkal).
Cherukunnu is a small town 4 km from Kottakkal having scenic beauty, where a temple situate, Annapoorneshwari. On the way you have to face two hair pin turns while driving. Many accidents have occurred there. Balaprobhodini school is the famous school more over madrassa also exist behind the school. Society of the area are well behaving to others. From cherukunnu to arichol a read has been opened recently by this route you more easy to go to perintalmanna
The United Democratic Front won the first elections (held in October 2010) to the Kottakkal municipality. T.V SULAIKHABI and Paroli Moosakutty Haji of Indian Union Muslim League were elected as the Chairperson and Vice-Chairman respectively of the municipality.
- K C Manorama Thampuratti (eminent Sanskrit poet)
- K. C. Manavedan Raja (founder of Raja's High School, Zamorin of Calicut during 1932-1937)
- M. K. Vellodi (Indian civil servant, diplomat)
- U. A. Beeran
- P.S.Varier (founder of Kottakkal Arya Vaidya Sala)
- Kottakkal Sivaraman (eminent Kathakali artist)
- Kottakkal Madhu (Kathakali singer)
- M. P. Abdussamad Samadani (politician, MLA, former Member of Parliament)
- Kottakkal Chandrasekharan (Kathakali artist)
- Ootupulackal Velukkuty Vijayan (O.V. Vijayan, Malayalam literature writer)
Basic information of Kottakkal Municipality
|Vehicle Registration No.||KL-55, KL-10 & KL-65|
|Neighbouring Panchayaths||Edarikode, Parappur, Othukkungal, Ponmala and Marakkara|
|Post Offices||Kottakkal, Puthoor, Indianoor, Pathayakkallu, Kuttippuram, Pandamangalam,|
- Anantavur, Atavanad, Athavanad, Cherukulamba and Edarikode
- Indianoor, Kozhichena, Marakkara, Maravattam and Padapparamba
- Pang, Parappur, Pottippara, Puthupparamb and Vettichira
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kottakkal.|