Kottakkavu Mar Thoma Syro-Malabar Church, North Paravur
|St.Thomas Kottakkavu Forane Church & Pilgrim Centre|
Kottakkavu Forane Church & Pilgrim Centre, North Paravur
|Denomination||Syro-Malabar Catholic Church|
|Founder(s)||St. Thomas the Apostle|
|Past bishop(s)||Mar Varkey Vithayathil|
|Diocese||Syro-Malabar Catholic Major Archeparchy of Ernakulam-Angamaly|
|Bishop(s)||Maran Mar George Alencherry|
Kottakkavu Mar Thoma Syro-Malabar Pilgrim Church, North Paravur is a Syro-Malabar church established in 52 AD by St. Thomas, one of the twelve apostles of Jesus Christ. It is the first church in India and is called an Apostolic Church credited to the Apostolate of St. Thomas who preached and also started conversion of people to Syriac Christianity here. It was part of the Ezharappallikal (seven churches) that he established in India; the other six churches were established at Kodungalloor, Kokkamangalam, Palayoor, Kollam, Niranam, and Nilackal.
Where he taught the Holy Way
There within a span of a year
One thousand seven hundred
And another seventy of themWere christened by baptism
Mar Sabor and Mar Proth
Mar Sabor and Mar Proth came from Persia to Malankara in the 9th century. They built and presided over a number of churches in Malankara operating in accordance with Saint Thomas Christians. The second church of Kottakkavu was rebuilt at this time. After their death they were remembered as saints and their name was given to this church. Kottakkavu Sliva, a Persian cross engraved on granite stone by Mar Sabor and Mar Proth, is preserved in the chapel in front of the church.
Kottakkavu Sliba, a Persian cross founded by Mar Sabor and Mar Proth, is preserved at Kottakkavu Mar Thoma Syro-Malabar Pilgrim Center
- Shyama Rajagopal (21 September 2013). "In Paravur, a slideshow of history". Thehindu.com. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- "Kottakkavu church - place of religious importance, Ernakulam, Kerala, Muziris History". Keralatourism.org. 15 August 2002. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- "Archdiocese of Ernakulam-Angamaly". Ernakulamarchdiocese.org. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- "Syro Malabar Church Chronology". Syromalabarchurch.in. 1 January 1911. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- Gazetter 1986, pp. 38, 623
- "History | Payyappilly Palakkappilly Nasrani". Payyappilly.org. Archived from the original on 4 July 2015. Retrieved 2 July 2015.
- A Sreedhara Menon (2007). A Survey Of Kerala History. D C Books. p. 39. ISBN 8126415789.
- Dale A. Johnson (2013). Searching for Jesus on the Silk Road. Lulu.com. p. 58. ISBN 1300435313.
- "Stone Crosses of Kerala". Nasrani.net. 16 January 2007.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kottakkavu Mar Thoma Church.|