|Born||March 23, 1855|
|Died||July 22, 1937(aged 82)|
|Genre||Novel, short Story|
|Spouse||Sreedevi Amma, Lakshmy Amma, Devaki Amma|
Kottarathil Sankunni (born Vasudevan, 1855–1937) was an Indian writer of Malayalam literature. Best known as the author of Aithihyamala, an eight-volume compilation of century-old legends about Kerala, Sankunni's writings cover prose and poetry, including verses for Kathakali and Ottan Thullal. He was one of the founding members of Bhashaposhini Sabha founded by Kandathil Varghese Mappillai and was also involved with Bharata Vilasam Sabha, another literary initiative. He died on July 22, 1937.
Kottarathil Sankunni was born on March 23, 1855 at Kodimatha, in Kottayam district of the south Indian state of Kerala (erstwhile Travancore) to Vasudevan Unni-Nangayya couple. The boy, whose name at birth was Vasudevan but was called Thanku, Sanku and later Sankunni, did his early schooling under the tutelage of a local teacher and later, studied Sanskrit under Manarkattu Sanku Warrier and traditional medicine under Vayskara Aryan Narayanan Mooss. He joined Malayala Manorama in 1890 as the editor of their poetry section during which time he tutored a few Britishers the language of Malayalam. In 1893, he was selected as a Malayalam teacher at M. C. High School.
Sankunni married for the first time in 1881 but after the death of his first wife, married Evoor Panaveliveettil Sreedevi Amma in 1887. he married twice more, the brides were Panaveli Lakshmy Amma and Pengali Thekkethu Devaki Amma. He died on 22 July 1937, at the age of 82.
- Aithihyamala, a collection of legendary stories including those about Kadamattathu Kathanar, Kayamkulam Kochunni, Parayi petta panthirukulam and others.
- Sreerama pattabhishekam (Kathakali)
- Adhdhyathmaramayanam (Translation)
He was also involved with two literary initiatives, the Bhashaposhini Sabha founded by Kandathil Varghese Mappillai and the Bharata Vilasam Sabha, an organization where most of the literary figures of that period were members.
Sankunni started compiling the legends of Kerala in 1909 and it took over a quarter to a century for him to complete the work. Aithihyamala (Garland of Legends), once completed was an eight-volume compilation of legends and old stories, popular in Kerala over the centuries. The work comprises eight volumes, containing 126 chapters. It was first serialised in Bhashaposhini literary magazine. Later, it was published by the Reddiar Press in Quilon, in the early twentieth century. Kottarathil Sankunni Memorial Committee entrusted National Book Stall to reprint the work in 1974 and in 1991, D. C. Books published it in a new format. The book is known to have sold over 150,000 copies until 2004. Index of Eight Parts of Aithihya Mala
1. Chempakassery Raajaavu
2. Kottayaththu Raajaavu
6. Parayi petta panthirukulam
7. Thalakkulaththoor Bhattathiriyum Pazhur padippurayum
8. Vilwamangalaththu Swaamiyaar
9. Kaakkassery Bhattathiri
10. Muttassu Namboothiri
11. Puliyaampilly Namboori
12. Kallanthaattil Gurukkal
13. Kolaththiriyum Saamoothiriyum
14. Paandamparampaththu kodanbharaniyilaey uppumaanga
15. Mangalappilly Moothathum Punnayil Panikkarum
16. Kaaladiyil Bhattathiri
17. Venmani Namboorippaadanmaar
18. Kunchamanpottiyum Mattappally Namboothirippaadum
19. Vayakkara Achchan Mooss
21. Kidangoor Kandankoran
1. Kumaranalloor Bhagavathi
2. Thirunakkara Devanum aviduththaey kaalayum
6. Paathaayikkara Namboorimaar
7. Kaaraattu Namboori
8. Viddi! Kushmaandam
9. Kunchan Nambiaarudaey Ulbhavam
10. Valiya Parisha Shankaranaaraayana Chaakyaar
11. Aazhuvaanchery Thampraakkalum Mangalathhtu Shankaranum
12. Naalaekkaattu Pillamaar
13. Kayamkulam Kochunni
14. Kaipuzha Raajniyum Pulinkunnu Desavum
15. Orantharjanaththintaey yukthi
16. Pazhur perumthrukkovil
17. Paakkanaarudaey bhaaryayudaey paathivrathyam
18. Randu Mahaaraajaakkanmaarudaey swabhaavavyathyaasam
20. Chempakassery Raajaavum Maeppaththoor Bhattathiriyum
21. Vattapparampil Valiyamma
22. Vaikkaththu Thiruneelakantan
1. Kiliroorkunninmael Bhagavathi
2. Poonthaanaththu Namboori
3. Aalaththoor Nampi
4. Vayaskara Chathurvedi Bhattathiriyum Yakshiyum
5. Raamapuraththu Warrier
7. Kochchi Shakthanthampuraan Thirumanassukondu
8. Ammannoor Parameshwara Chaakyaar
9. Cheranalloor Kunchukkarthaavu
10. Kottarakkara Goshaala
11. Thaevalassery Nampi
12. Chila eeshwaranmaarudaey pinakkam
13. Parangottu Namboori
14. Paakkil Shaasthaavu
15. Kodungallur Vasoorimaala
16. Thripoonithara kshethraththilaey ulsavangal
18. Konniyil Kochchayappan
1. Oorakaththu Ammathiruvadi
2. Swathithirunal Mahaaraajaavuthirumanassukondu
3. Pilaamanthol Mooss
4. Shasthamkottayum Kuranganmaarum
5. Mazhamangalaththu Namboori
6. Vayaskarakkudumbavum aviduththaey Shaasthaavum
7. Kaayamkulaththu Raajavintaey shreechakram
8. Kulappuraththu Bheeman
9. Mannadikkaavum Kampiththaanum
11. Kadamattathu Kathanar
14. Kunchukuttippilla sarwaadhikaaryakkaar
15. Achchankovilshaasthaavum Parivaaramoorththikalum
16. Avanaamanakkal Gopalan
2. Elaedaththuthykkaattu Moossanmaar
4. Kollam Vishaarikkaavu
5. Vayaskara Aaryan Narayananmooss avarkaludaey chikilsaanaipunyam
7. Avanangaattu Panikkarum Chaaththanmaarum
8. Kuttanchery Mooss
9. Pallivaanapperumaalum Kiliroor Desavum
10. Kaadaamkottu Maakkam Bhagavathi
11. Oru europiyantheyantaey swamibhakthi
13. Kottarakkara Chandrashekharan
1. Panayannaar kaavu
2. Uthram Thirunaal Thirumanassukondum Kathakali yogavum
3. Kaplingaattu Nambooriyum Deshamangalaththu Warrierum
4. Vijayadri Maahaathmyam
5. Naduvilaeppaattu Bhattathiri
6. Aaranmula Devanum Mangaattu Bhattathiriyum
7. Mundaempilly Krishna Maaraar
8. Mannaarassaala Maahaathmyam
9. Oru Swaamiyaarudaey shaapam
10. Pullankoottu Namboori
11. Panachchikkaattu Saraswathi
12. Vellaadu Namboori
13. Aaranmula Valiya Balakrishnan
1. Chengannur Bhagawathi
2. Edavettikkaatthu Namboori
3. Payyannur graamam
4. Olassayil Vaettakkorumakan kaavu
5. Shabarimala Shaasthaavum Panthalaththu Raajaavum
6. Vaikkaththaey Paattukal
7. Perumpulaavil Kaelu Menon
8. Chempakassery Raajaavum Raajniyum
9. Vilwamangalaththu Swaamiyaar
10. Paambummaekkaattu Namboori
12. Panthalam Neelakantan
1. Chittoor Kaavil Bhagavathi
2. Kalloor Namboorippaadanmaar
3. Thakazhiyil Shaasthaavum aviduththaey ennayum
4. Arackal Beebi
5. Thiruvizhaa Mahaadevanum aviduththaey marunnum
6. Pazhur perumthrukkovil
7. Thekkaedaththu kudumbakkaar
8. Mookkola Kshethrangal
9. Kumaramangalathhtu Namboori
10. Mandakkaattamanum kodayum
11. Thiruvattattaadhi Kesavan
- Śaṅkuṇṇi, Koṭṭārattil (2015). Aithihyamala. ISBN 9788126422906. OCLC 960468561.
- Śaṅkuṇṇi, Koṭṭārattil (1931). Kṣhēthr̲amāhātmyaṃ. Tr̥śśūr: Maṅgaḷōdayaṃ Pr̲ass. OCLC 43104218.
- Śaṅkuṇṇi, Koṭṭārattil (1935). Seemanthinīcharitaṃ: bhāṣānāṭakaṃ. Trichur: Keralodayam Press. OCLC 37527198.
- Śaṅkuṇṇi, Koṭṭārattil (1909). Kuchēlagōpālaṃ: nāṭakaṃ. Tr̥śśūr: Bhārativilāsaṃ Accukūṭaṃ. OCLC 38510750.
- Śaṅkuṇṇi, Koṭṭārattil (1980). Addhyātmarāmāyaṇaṃ (in Malayalam). Kottayam; Tiruvanantapuraṃ: Kottarathil Sankunni Memorial Committee ; Distributors, Kar̲ant̲ Buks. OCLC 11496946.
- Śaṅkuṇṇi, Koṭṭārattil (1908). Lakṣmībhāīśatakaṃ: maṇipr̲avāḷaṃ. Tr̥śśūr: Bhāratavilāsaṃ Pr̲ass. OCLC 38510783.
- Śaṅkuṇṇi, Koṭṭārattil (1908). Māṭhamahīśhaśatakaṃ: maṇipr̲avāḷaṃ. Tr̥śśūr: Bhāratavilāsaṃ. OCLC 39133272.
Translations into English
- Śaṅkuṇṇi, Koṭṭārattil; Wood, Reade (translator) (1997). Tales from Kerala. India: publisher not identified. OCLC 43779950.
- Śaṅkuṇṇi, Koṭṭārattil; Śr̲īkumāri Rāmacandran (translator) (2016). Aithihyamaala: the great legends of Kerala. ISBN 9788182666252. OCLC 1032243481.
- Śaṅkuṇṇi, Koṭṭārattil; Eraly, Abraham (translator) (2006). Tales once told: legends of Kerala adapted from Kottarathil Sankunni's Ithihyamala. New Delhi; New York, NY: Penguin Books. ISBN 9780143099680. OCLC 76902803.
- "Retelling culture". The Hindu. 1 October 2006. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Biography on Kerala Sahitya Akademi portal". Kerala Sahitya Akademi portal. 10 March 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "List of works". Kerala Sahitya Akademi. 10 March 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Bhashaposhini Sabha". Kerala Sahitya Akademi. 10 March 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- Amaresh Datta (1988). Encyclopaedia of Indian Literature: Devraj to Jyoti. Sahitya Akademi. pp. 1735–. ISBN 978-81-260-1194-0.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 9 June 2012. Retrieved 13 August 2012.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- 1855-1937., Śaṅkuṇṇi, Koṭṭārattil (2011). Aitihyamāla. Kottayam: D C Books. ISBN 9788126422906. OCLC 769743773.
- "Portrait commissioned by Kerala Sahitya Akademi". Kerala Sahitya Akademi. 10 March 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- Vishnu B (20 July 2013). "Kottarathil Sankunni - A Radio illustration". YouTube. All India Radio. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kottarathil Sankunni.|