A 287 series 3-car EMU on a Kounotori service, March 2011
|Service type||Limited express|
|Locale||Tokaido Main Line, Fukuchiyama Line, Sanin Main Line|
|First service||12 March 2011|
|Current operator(s)||JR West|
|Rolling stock||287 series/289 series EMUs|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
|Electrification||1,500 V DC overhead|
The Kounotori (こうのとり? Kōnotori) is a limited express train service operated by the West Japan Railway Company (JR West) between Shin-Osaka and Kinosaki Onsen in Japan since 12 March 2011. It replaced the previous Kitakinki services.
Service pattern and station stops
14 down services (Kounotori 1–27) from Shin-Osaka and 13 up services (Kounotori 2–26) to Shin-Osaka run daily, with the journey time from Shin-Osaka to Kinosaki Onsen taking approximately 2 hours 45 minutes.
Kounotori services stop at the following stations. (Stations in parentheses are not served by all trains.)
Shin-Osaka - Osaka - Amagasaki - Takarazuka - Sanda - (Shin-Sanda) - (Aino) - Sasayamaguchi - (Tanikawa) - Kaibara - (Kuroi) - Fukuchiyama - (Wadayama) - (Yōka) - (Ebara) - (Toyooka) - (Kinosaki Onsen)
The following rolling stock is used on Kounotori services.
Former rolling stock
- 183 series 4/6-car EMUs (12 March 2011 - 15 March 2013)
- 381 series 4/6-car EMUs (from 12 March 2011 to 31 May 2011, and from 1 June 2012 to 30 October 2015)
- "JR西日本 287系デビュー時に特急「北近畿」を「こうのとり」に改呼" [JR West to rename "Kitakinki" as "Kounotori" with debut of 287 series]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine. Vol. 39 no. 320. Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun. December 2010. p. 73.
- JR Timetable, February 2011 issue
- 平成23年春ダイヤ改正について [Spring 2011 timetable revision details] (pdf). JR West news release (in Japanese). West Japan Railway Company. 17 December 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- JR西日本 289系 10月31日から運転開始 [JR West 289 series to enter service from 31 October]. Tetsudo Hobidas (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing Co., Ltd. 21 August 2015. Retrieved 21 August 2015.
- "JR西日本の183系が定期運用を終了" [JR West 183 series withdrawn from scheduled services]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 17 March 2013. Retrieved 17 March 2013.
- 新型車両（287 系）追加投入の詳細 [Details of further introduction of new (287 series) trains] (pdf). JR West news release (in Japanese). West Japan Railway Company. 28 April 2011. Retrieved 2 May 2011.
- "JR西日本 381系福知山車ＦＥ編成が営業運転開始" [JR West: Fukichiyama-based 381 series FE sets enter service]. Tetsudō Daiya Jōhō Magazine. Vol. 41 no. 340. Japan: Kōtsū Shimbun. August 2012. p. 75.
- 381系が関西地区の定期運用から離脱 [381 series removed from scheduled Kansai area services]. Japan Railfan Magazine Online (in Japanese). Japan: Koyusha Co., Ltd. 31 October 2015. Retrieved 1 November 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kounotori.|