Krásno nad Kysucou
Krásno nad Kysucou
Krasno St. Andrew´s church at night
|• Mayor||Jozef Grapa|
|• Total||27.770 km2 (10.722 sq mi)|
|Elevation||384 m (1,260 ft)|
|• Density||240/km2 (630/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Krásno nad Kysucou is a town in the Čadca District, Žilina Region, north-western Slovakia. Krásno nad Kysucou is the youngest town in Slovakia (it gained the statute of town on the 1. September 2001). It is an industrial town known for its forest industry. It is the third biggest town in Kysuce Region and it is also known to be the gate to the Bystrická dolina. It has 7038 inhabitants.
The first written record about Krásno nad Kysucou was in 1325. At first the village was in the possession of the hereditary reeve of Žilina, then it belonged to the Strečno county.
The First World War together with the Second World War and the Economic Crisis left Krásno, like many other places, in a bad condition. The men, who returned from the front, became extremely angry when they saw that those who had stayed at home during the war, were doing very well. They decided to revenge. The armed plundering was finally stopped by the railmen from Žilina, who were called in by the local Jews. The leader of the plundering died during the first shooting and his companion died on his way to hospital.
According to the 2010 census, the town had 6.920 inhabitants with 0.4% Czech as a largest majority. The religious make-up was 91.60% Roman Catholics and 0.13% Lutherans most of others gave no religious affiliation.
Gospelové Kysuce (Gospel Kysuce) is an international gospel festival. It takes place every first Friday of September, since 2003. A lot of rock bands that focus on the gospel music are performing here. It starts with the holy mass in the Church of st. Ondrej (which was built in 1861, and it is the biggest church in the Roman Catholic diocese of Žilina).
Twin towns — sister cities
- "Population and migration". Statistical Office of the Slovak Republic. Retrieved 2019-04-16.
- "Municipal Statistics". Statistical Office of the Slovak republic. Archived from the original on 2008-01-11. Retrieved 2008-02-01.
- "Statistical Office of the Slovak Republic" (PDF). Obyvateľstvo trvalo bývajúce v obciach SR podľa národnosti, SODB 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 14, 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Statistical Office of the Slovak Republic" (PDF). Obyvateľstvo trvalo bývajúce v obciach SR podľa náboženského vyznania, SODB 2011. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- New Youth Rink Bandy Tournament in Slovakia in March!
- "Partnerské mestá". mestokrasno.sk (in Slovak). Krásno nad Kysucou. Retrieved 2019-09-05.