Bounding Main at Bristol Renaissance Faire, Wisconsin, 2010.
|Genres||A Cappella, Folk music, Sea Shanties|
|Years active||2003 to present|
|Past members||Maggie Hannington|
Formed in 2003, Bounding Main performs maritime music, presenting an "Elizabethan sea dog" look in their costumes and gear as well as informal looks that represents them as a contemporary vocal group. They perform traditional sea shanties and nautical ballads from as far back as 400 years ago, as well as new maritime music, and original compositions. Bounding Main attempts to introduce historical music and structure in a way that appeals to listeners who might otherwise consider it "old-fashioned" through the use of harmony-focused arrangements agreeable to the modern ear and attention span. The group has won awards for their performances at renaissance festivals, and they have taken several international tours, bringing their music to popular shanty festivals in locations such as Germany, Netherlands, Poland, France, Cornwall, and Canada. Their music has been preserved in the British Library's Sound Archive.
Their fan club is known as the Bounding Mainiacs.
Dean Calin reached out to veteran environmental theater performers, Christie Dalby, Gina Dalby, Jon Krivitzky, and David Yondorf, inquiring if they wanted to join together to sing maritime music. The group met for rehearsal for the first time on January 19, 2003 and has performed as a quintet since 2010. Prior to that, they performed as a sextet until one of the original members retired from the group to make time for her family.
As all five performers were vocalists, and traditional sea shanties were often performed a cappella, the group decided to perform their music a cappella with minimal percussion for some songs. The group originally collaborated with instrumentalists on their first CD, Maiden Voyage, but since then have elected to mainly produce a capella tracks.
Bounding Main has performed at maritime museums, maritime music festivals, including the Chicago Maritime Festival, tall ship festivals, harbor festivals, arts festivals, pirate festivals, renaissance faires, wooden boat shows, corporate events and private parties. Additionally, the group has performed at international music festivals in Canada and in Europe.
Bounding Main has produced six CDs: Maiden Voyage, Lost at Sea, Going Overboard, Operation Share the Shanties, Kraken Up, and Fish Out of Water. Going Overboard was favorably reviewed in Dirty Linen magazine in 2010.
Bounding Main's first performance in Europe was at the Festival Maritim in Bremen-Vegesack, Germany in August 2008. They were one of only four bands from the USA to be represented at this festival between 2002 and 2009. Festival Maritim, which started in 1999, attracts high quality, professional bands and choirs from all over Europe and the world.
While in Germany for this festival, the group also performed at other locations in The Netherlands and Germany, most notably a charity performance to entertain US troops recovering at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Landstuhl, Germany.
Six weeks later, the group embarked upon their second overseas trip, traveling to The Netherlands for the Liereliet Festival. Based in Workum, this festival has been entertaining with authentic work songs and sailing activities since 1988.
Bounding Main performed at the 29th International Sailors' Song Festival, "Shanties 2010" in Kraków, Poland. This popular shanty festival has become one of the most important in the world since its founding in 1981.
Quebec, Canada, was the site of Bounding Main's next tour, where they performed at the "La Fête des chants de marins" in Saint-Jean-Port-Joli. This festival, which attracts as many as 20,000 visitors in a year, highlights the maritime culture and local heritage of the Saint Lawrence River area.
Paimpol, in Brittany, north-west France, was the site of Bounding Main's 2013 tour, where they performed at the "Festival du Chants de Marin de Paimpol". This event, in the French region of Brittany, brings in world-class performers from all points of the compass. The festival regularly attracts enthusiastic audiences of more than 130,000 people.
In August 2014, Bounding Main again traveled to the Netherlands and performed at the "Bie Daip International Shanty Festival" in Appingedam, Netherlands. They then traveled to Germany to perform at the "Hafenfest Papenburg" festival in Papenburg, Germany.
In August/September 2016, Bounding Main will travel to the Netherlands to perform at the "Bie Daip International Shanty Festival" in Appingedam, Netherlands. This will be the third time Bounding Main has performed at this festival. They will then travel to Germany to perform at the "Hafenfest Papenburg" festival in Papenburg, Germany. This will be their second appearance at this festival.
In June 2017, Bounding Main will travel to Cornwall, U.K., to perform at the Falmouth International Sea Shanty Festival in Falmouth, Cornwall, England, United Kingdom. They will then travel to the Netherlands to perform at the International Folk & Shanty Festival in Giethoorn, Netherlands. This will be the first appearance for Bounding Main at each of these festivals.
Bounding Main's music has been presented at the following museums as a representation of either maritime or pirate music.
- Door County Maritime Museum - Pirates - Ship to Shore exhibit
- Wisconsin Maritime Museum - River Rendezvous, Submarine Fest 2015, Submarine Fest 2016 
- Oshkosh Public Museum - Pirates Exhibit
- Kenosha History Center - Southport Lighthouse Festival
- Chicago History Museum - Chicago Maritime Festival
- Mystic Seaport museum - Neptune's Orchestra: Songs of the Seafarer exhibit
- Milwaukee Public Museum - Real Pirates exhibit
Additionally, their music is part of NRG's traveling "Treasure" exhibit.
Honors & Awards
- "Renaissance Festival Podcast" Best Music Groups of 2006 (placed 4th),
- "Renaissance Festival Podcast" Best Music Groups of 2007 (placed 4th),
- "Renaissance Festival Podcast" Best Music Groups of 2008 (placed 4th),
- "Renaissance Festival Podcast" Best New CD Released in 2011 (placed 3rd for Kraken Up),
- Constant Contact "All Star Award": 2012, 2013, and 2015
- British Library's Sound Archive: Selected by the British Library for preservation in their sound archive. Full live performance recorded at the Falmouth International Sea Shanty Festival, Falmouth, Cornwall, UK, June 2017.
Bounding Main has produced six albums:
2004 Maiden Voyage
2005 Lost at Sea
2007 Going Overboard
2008 Operation Share the Shanties
2011 Kraken Up
Produced by Bounding Main
Recorded at SurroundinSoundStudio
Additional tracks recorded at Chapman Recording and Mastering
Engineer: Jonathan Leubner
Cover Design: Dean Calin, Christie Dalby, Gina Dalby
Additionally, some of Bounding Main's songs appear on other CDs:
- "High Barbaree": Lafitte's Return Vol. 2, produced by Bob Brinkman for Pirates for the Preservation of New Orleans Music, 2007.
- "High Barbaree": Renaissance Festival Podcast Compilation CD, produced by Marc Gunn, 2008.
- "Derelict": Lafitte's Return Vol. 3, produced by Bob Brinkman for Pirates for the Preservation of New Orleans Music, 2008.
- "Blow Liza Blow": Lafitte's Return Vol. 4, produced by Bob Brinkman for Pirates for the Preservation of New Orleans Music, 2008.
- "Blow Liza Blow": Goin' Back Home Vol. 3, produced by Quickstar Productions, 2009.
- "The Day of the Clipper": Score, performed with and produced by The Jolly Rogers, 2010.
- "Dogger Bank": "Bie Daip" Appingedam 10 jaar International Shanty Festival, produced by Bie Daip International Shanty Festival, 2011.
- "Away Rio": Beg, Borrow and Steal, performed with and produced by The Jolly Rogers, 2012.
- "Tow Rope Girls": Beg, Borrow and Steal, performed with and produced by The Jolly Rogers, 2012.
- "Sugar in the Hold": Falmouth International Sea Shanty Festival 2017 CD, produced by the Falmouth International Sea Shanty Festival, 2017.
Bounding Main's music has been included in the following soundtracks:
- The Polar Sea; Documentary by The Ontario Educational Communications Authority. "Northwest Passage" from the album Lost at Sea. 
- Flotsam; Short Film by Noel Goodwin (screened at London Short Film Festival). "Mingulay Boat Song" from the album Maiden Voyage. 
- "Off the Beaten Shore," by Cathy Gresey. Grayslake Times, February 17–23, 2006, page A1. Available at: http://www.boundingmain.com/pdf/Grayslake%20Times.PDF
- Review of CD "Going Overboard" Archived September 23, 2010, at the Wayback Machine. on celtophila.com. Review of CD "Lost At Sea" on Bilgemunky.com
- "Bounding Main revives maritime music for a new generation" by Julie Lawrence. OnMilwaukee.com Published February 2, 2006 at 5:26 a.m., available at http://www.onmilwaukee.com/music/articles/boundingmain.html (Accessed April 10, 2010.)
- Bounding Main official website, "Our Story"
- Bounding Main official website, "Maggie bio," see also Bounding Main Facebook posting "A new direction for Bounding Main."
- "Linen Shorts" (review listed under heading "Bounding Main, Going Overboard: Sea Shanties & Nautical Ballads"), Dirty Linen #145, January/February 2010, page 57.
- "Bounding Main (USA)". Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Festival Maritim" (in German). Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Bounding Main to Entertain American Troops in Germany". July 1, 2008. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Vrijdag 17 oktober start de STRONTRACE van Workum naar Warmond vs" (in Dutch). 12 October 2008. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Welkom" (in Dutch). Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Shanties - Międzynarodowy Festiwal Piosenki Żeglarskiej" (in Polish). Archived from the original on 16 April 2013. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Shanties 2012 - Culture & Events in Krakow". Archived from the original on 26 January 2013. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Shantyfest 2011-12". Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "La Fête des chants de marins". Archived from the original on 19 January 2013. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Harper Government Invests in the Fête des Chants de Marins". 10 July 2012. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "Paimpol 2013 - Festival du chant de marin - Programmation" (in French). Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- "Paimpol 2013 - Festival du chant de marin - Edito" (in French). Archived from the original on 5 August 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- "Bie Daip - Internationaal Folk & Seasongsfestival in Appingedam". Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "Förderkreis Hafenfest Papenburg e. V. - Einladung zum Hafenfest 2016". Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "Falmouth International Sea Shanty Festival". www.falmouthseashanty.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-03-24.
- "Folk & Shantyfestival Giethoorn 2017 – Het grootste Folk Festival van Nederland" (in Dutch). www.shantyfestivalgiethoorn.nl. Retrieved 2017-03-24.
- "Member Reception for "Pirates - Ship to Shore"". Archived from the original on 3 May 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "River Rendezvous June 26 & 27, 2010" (PDF). Retrieved 15 October 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Welcome to the Wisconsin Maritime Museum Website - Wisconsin Maritime Website". Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "Sub Fest". Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "2007 Chicago Maritime Festival". Archived from the original on 23 July 2012. Retrieved 15 October 2012.
- "Chicago Maritime Festival 2011 - Performers". Retrieved 15 October 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "Real Pirates Member Preview". Retrieved 15 October 2012.
Enjoy the rousing sea shanties of Bounding Main, which will bring its inimitable brand of maritime music and pirate silliness to these Preview evenings.
- "Renaissance Festival Music Awards - 2nd – 2006 – Renaissance Festival Podcast". Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Renaissance Festival Music Awards - 3rd – 2007 – Renaissance Festival Podcast". Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- "Renaissance Festival Music Awards - 4th – 2008 – Renaissance Festival Podcast". Retrieved 7 November 2016.
- 7th Annual Renaissance Festival Awards
- "Bounding Main -- Sea Shanties and Songs of the Sea -- "Maiden Voyage" CD". Archived from the original on 2011-07-24. Retrieved 2011-03-21.
- "Review: Maiden Voyage". 8 December 2005. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- Kraken Up liner notes
- Fish Out of Water liner notes
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bounding Main.|