Krapina-Zagorje County within Croatia
|• Župan||Željko Kolar (SDP)|
|• Total||1,229 km2 (475 sq mi)|
|• Density||110/km2 (280/sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||HR-02|
high · 16th
Krapina-Zagorje County (pronounced [krâpina zǎːɡɔːrje], Croatian: Krapinsko-zagorska županija) is a county in northern Croatia, bordering Slovenia. It encompasses most of the historic region called Hrvatsko Zagorje.
The area contains the excavation site of a 100,000-year-old Neanderthal man in caves near the central town of Krapina. The existence of Krapina itself has been verified since 1193, and it has been a common site for castles and other country houses of Croatian, Austrian and Hungarian rulers.
Other towns of the county are Zabok, Pregrada, Zlatar, Oroslavje, Donja Stubica, Klanjec. The town of Stubica features another thermal spring, the Stubičke spa. Also in the area are the medieval castles Veliki Tabor, Miljana, Bežanec, Hellenbach, Milengrad etc.
The Krapina-Zagorje County borders on the Varaždin County in the northwest, Zagreb County in the southwest and southeast, and the city of Zagreb in the south. The county contains many vineyards. 15% of the year, fog significantly lowers visibility in the area.
Krapina-Zagorje County is divided into 7 towns or cities, 25 municipalities and 422 settlements:
- Town of Krapina (county seat)
- Town of Donja Stubica
- Town of Klanjec
- Town of Oroslavje
- Town of Pregrada
- Town of Zabok
- Town of Zlatar
- Municipality of Bedekovčina
- Municipality of Budinšćina
- Municipality of Desinić
- Municipality of Đurmanec
- Municipality of Gornja Stubica
- Municipality of Hrašćina
- Municipality of Hum na Sutli
- Municipality of Jesenje
- Municipality of Kraljevec na Sutli
- Municipality of Krapinske Toplice
- Municipality of Konjščina
- Municipality of Kumrovec
- Municipality of Marija Bistrica
- Municipality of Lobor
- Municipality of Mače
- Municipality of Mihovljan
- Municipality of Novi Golubovec
- Municipality of Petrovsko
- Municipality of Radoboj
- Municipality of Sveti Križ Začretje
- Municipality of Stubičke Toplice
- Municipality of Tuhelj
- Municipality of Veliko Trgovišće
- Municipality of Zagorska Sela
- Municipality of Zlatar Bistrica
|Historical populations of Krapina-Zagorje County|
|Source: Naselja i stanovništvo Republike Hrvatske 1857–2001, Croatian Bureau of Statistics, Zagreb, 2005|
Since the late 1940s the county's population has been slowly shrinking. As of the 2011 census, the county had 132,892 residents. The population density is 110 people per km². Of the 132,892 residents, 68,243 (or 51.35%) were female and 64,649 (or 48.65%) were male. The average age of the population is 41.7 year. The average age of female residents is, at 43.7 years, higher than that of male residents, at 39.6 years.
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Ostroški, Ljiljana, ed. (December 2015). Statistički ljetopis Republike Hrvatske 2015 [Statistical Yearbook of the Republic of Croatia 2015] (PDF). Statistical Yearbook of the Republic of Croatia (in Croatian and English). 47. Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. p. 62. ISSN 1333-3305. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
- "Population by Age and Sex, by Settlements, 2011 Census: County of Krapina-Zagorje". Census of Population, Households and Dwellings 2011. Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2012.
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "2-2. Županije, površina, stanovništvo, gradovi, općine i naselja (teritorijalni ustroj prema stanju 31. prosinca 2017.) - Statistički ljetopis Republike Hrvatske 2018" [2-2. Counties, surface area, population, towns, municipalities and settlements (territorial constitution with situation as on 31 December 2017) - Statistical Yearbook of the Republic of Croatia 2018] (PDF). Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2018. Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- "1. Kontingenti stanovništva po gradovima/općinama, popis 2011" [1. Contingents of the population by cities/municipalities, Census 2011]. Croatian Bureau of Statistics (in Croatian). Retrieved 10 May 2019.
- "Stanovništvo prema narodnosti po gradovima/općinama, Popis 2011". Croatian Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Krapina-Zagorje County.|