The company was started by Chester L. Krause (1923–2016) upon the publication in October 1952 of the first issue of Numismatic News. In the coin collecting community the company is best known for its Standard Catalog of World Coins, a series of coin catalogs commonly referred to as Krause-Mishler catalogs or simply Krause catalogs; they provide information, pricing, and Krause-Mishler (KM) numbers referring to coin rarity and value. Krause-Mishler numbers are the most common way of assigning values to coins. The first edition was published in 1972. In addition, they established the Coin of the Year Award, first issued in 1984, for excellence in coinage design.
In the paper money collecting community the company is known for its paper money catalogs. In 1975 the first edition of the seminal Standard Catalog of World Paper Money authored by Albert Pick was published. Its numbering system, the Pick numbers, is widely used to identify banknotes.
In 1997, Krause acquired the non-automotive book titles of the Chilton Company. In June 2002 Krause was acquired by F+W (back then F&W Publications). At that time Krause Publications was publishing 46 periodicals and had nearly 750 books in print. Krause Publications was continued by F+W as an imprint.
In June 2019 the assets of F+W were sold at bankruptcy auctions. The book publishing assets and Krause brand were acquired by Penguin Random House. The magazines were dispersed; Numismatic News, for instance, was acquired by Active Interest Media.
- Blade - a magazine aimed at knife collectors
- Comics Buyer's Guide
- Goldmine - a magazine aimed at record collectors
- Sports Collectors Digest
- Hagerty, James R. (July 8, 2016). "Chester Krause Built a Big Hobby Magazine Publisher in a Tiny Wisconsin Town". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- Harper, Dave (March 10, 2018). "Give this desk one last going over". Numismatic News. F+W. Retrieved 2019-08-25.
- "Obituary for Chester L. Krause at Voie Funeral Home". www.voiefuneralhome.com. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- McMorrow-Hernandez, Joshua (December 26, 2016). "The Coin Analyst: 2016: Year in Review". CoinWeek. Retrieved 2019-08-25.
Krause and his longtime colleague Clifford Mishler instituted the use of the now widely used Krause-Mishler numbers, shorthanded as KM numbers, to standardize the cataloging of coin issues.
- "Krause Publications: A brief history". krause.com. Archived from the original on 2002-06-12. Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- Scarinci, Donald (2015). Coin of the Year: Celebrating Three Decades of the Best in Coin Design and Craftsmanship. Krause Publications. Introduction. ISBN 978-1-4402-4476-6.
- Kampmann, Ursula (December 10, 2015). "Albert Pick (1922-2015)". CoinsWeekly. Translated by Backe, Annika. MünzenWoche GmbH. Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- "History of Krause Publications, Inc. – FundingUniverse". Retrieved 2019-11-11.
- "Krause Publications Sold For $120 Million". ICv2. June 27, 2002. Retrieved 2019-08-25.
- "Krause Publications: An Overview". krause.com. Archived from the original on 2002-06-12. Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- Milliot, Jim; Maher, John (June 7, 2019). "PRH Acquires F+W Book Group Assets At Auction". Publishers Weekly. Retrieved 2019-08-25.
- Dool, Greg (June 17, 2019). "F+W Media Reveals Winning Bidders at Bankruptcy Auction". Folio. Access Intelligence, LLC. Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- "Active Interest Media Acquires Four F+W Groups Including Numismatics". Numismatic News. F+W. July 19, 2019. Retrieved 2019-09-08.
|Look up numismatics in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|