|Private (GmbH & Co KG)|
|Germany, EU, worldwide|
Number of employees
Krauss-Maffei Wegmann GmbH & Co. KG (KMW) is a defense company based in Munich, Germany. The company produces various types of equipment as well as railroad locomotives, tanks, self-propelled artillery, and other armored vehicles.
KMW's predecessor company, Krauss-Maffei, was formed in 1931 from a merger of the two Munich firms of Maffei (founded 1838) and Krauss & Co. (founded 1860). Both belonged to the leading German makers of locomotives of various types. Maffei also built other steam-operated vehicles and, later, manufactured vehicles with combustion engines, including locomotives, trolleybuses and buses until the 1950s.
The production of armored vehicles was later spun off and merged with the company Wegmann to form Krauss-Maffei Wegmann. Siemens had a 49% stake, but Wegmann & Co. Unternehmens-Holding KG in Kassel bought this stake in December 2010 to become the sole shareholder of KMW. The family holding is owned by about 26 silent partners. The partners are members of the families Bode, von Braunbehrens, von Maydell and Sethe and are all descendants of the firm's founders or the later owners of Wegmann & Co.
Krauss-Maffei Wegmann should not be confused with a separate present-day company, KraussMaffei Group, which is also descended from the original Krauss-Maffei merger. KraussMaffei Group manufactures injection molding machines, machines for plastics extrusion technology, and reaction process machinery; it was acquired by ChemChina in 2016.
In 2015, Krauss-Maffei Wegmann merged with the French state-owned defense company Nexter Systems. KMW is now a subsidiary of a newly formed holding company, 50% of which are in turn controlled by the former owners of the German company.
- Leopard 1 main battle tank
- Leopard 2 main battle tank
- PzH 2000 self-propelled howitzer
- Flugabwehrkanonenpanzer Gepard self-propelled anti-aircraft artillery
- Dingo 1 & 2 infantry mobility vehicle
- Panzerschnellbrücke 2
- FLW 100 and FLW 200 remote weapon stations
- Grizzly highly protected vehicle
- GTK Boxer armoured fighting vehicle
- MARS tracked multiple rocket launcher
- Artillery Gun Module (AGM), which has been further developed into the Donar self-propelled howitzer
- Mungo ESK armoured transport vehicle
- Leguan armoured bridge layer
- Puma infantry fighting vehicle
- Fennek armoured reconnaissance vehicle
- F2 wheeled armoured vehicle
- "Defence professionals". 2010-12-18. Retrieved 2010-12-18.
- "Der Panzer-Clan von Krauss-Maffei", Capital (in German), 22 Jun 2010, archived from the original on 2012-07-22.
- "Rüstungsfirma Kraus-Maffei Wegmann – Stur wie ein Panzer", Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German), 21 Jun 2012.
- "Nexter Systems and Krauss-Maffei Wegmann have completed their association". nexter-group.fr. 15 Dec 2015. Retrieved 2017-05-02.
- "Donar 155-mm Self-Propelled Howitzer". Retrieved 14 August 2011.