This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
KRE-O is a line of construction toys (similar to Lego and Mega Bloks) manufactured by South Korea-based Oxford and marketed by Hasbro. Kre-O was released in stores in Fall 2011. The name "Kre-O" comes from the Latin word "creo", which means "I create".
Kre-O Transformers is the first line of the Kre-O series. They were first shown in February 2011 at the American International Toy Fair trade show in New York. Transformers Kre-O figures include homages to their live action film, Timelines, Transformers: Prime and Beast Hunters sub-lines.
Kre-O G.I. Joe was released as the third Kre-O line in February 2013 as a Toys "R" Us exclusive. This collection is based primarily on Hasbro's G.I.Joe: A Real American Hero toy line, cartoons, and comic book series, but includes some Adventure Team Kreons as well.
Kre-O Star Trek was released as the fourth line of Kre-O sets in April 2013. The initial sets and Kreons are based on the 2009 reboot and its sequel Star Trek Into Darkness. A preview trailer was posted by Hasbro, first on Facebook, then later on YouTube. The trailer re-enacts the original "teaser trailer" for the first film, showing the construction of the U.S.S. Enterprise in Kre-O form and by Kreon construction workers. A press release made at the 2012 New York Toy Fair showed the completed Enterprise model (complete with flip-up "saucer" showing the ship's Bridge) and Kreons of Kirk, Spock and Sulu.
At ComiCon International 2013, Hasbro announced new brand lines for Dungeons & Dragons and Cityville Invasion plus additional building sets for Star Trek, GI Joe and Transformers brand lines. Kre-O Cityville Invasion is the fifth line of Kre-O sets, based on the popular CityVille online game series. This line introduces "Sonic Motion Technology", which triggers specific movements in special Kre-O bricks.
- Lennihan, Mark (13 February 2011). "Hasbro pushes into Lego's land with new blocks". USA Today. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "MTV Geek EXCLUSIVE Images: Transformers Kre-O Optimus Prime, Bumblee, and Ratchet". MTV. 27 April 2011. Archived from the original on 24 July 2011. Retrieved 28 April 2019.
- Kuchera, Ben (20 July 2011). "Playing with Hasbro's Kre-O Transformer kits: don't call them Lego". Ars Technica. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- Goellner, Caleb (12 October 2012). "Hasbro Reveals KRE-O 'G.I. Joe' Building Sets [NYCC 2012]". Comics Alliance. Archived from the original on 14 October 2012. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- "Star Trek Kre-O Sighted". 18 April 2013. Retrieved 16 May 2013.
- KREO (6 July 2012). "Trailer for Kre-O STAR TREK USS ENTERPRISE on YouTube". Youtube.com. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- "Full Press Release: 2012 NYTF: Hasbro Star Trek Kre-O First Look on TOY NEWS INTERNATIONAL Website". Toynewsi.com. Retrieved 10 August 2012.
- Kinney, Jim (18 July 2013). "Hasbro introduces new KRE-O construction toys at Comic-Con in San Diego". The Republican. Retrieved 12 September 2018.
- "Comic-Con: Hasbro Announces Dungeons & Dragons KRE-O Sets". ComingSoon.
- "Hasbro's KRE-O launches Dungeons & Dragon toy sets". Entertainment Weekly. 16 July 2013. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- Agar, Chirs (5 October 2016). "Hasbro Reveals New Trolls Playsets". Screen Rant. Retrieved 30 July 2017.