|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011)|
Kre-O Transformers logo
KRE-O is a line of construction toys (similar to Lego and Mega Bloks) manufactured by South Korea-based Oxford and marketed by Hasbro. Kre-O was released in stores in Fall 2011, although Hasbro started shipping out the first Transformers sets in early June 2011. The creators of the toy franchise got the name "Kre-O" from the Latin word "creo", which means "I create".
Kre-O toy feature highly articulated humanoid figures called Kreons.
Kre-O blocks are compatible with Lego bricks, hence also compatible with Mega Bloks and other building block brands.
Kre-O Transformers is the first line of the Kre-O series. They were first shown at the New York Toy Fair 2011. Transformers Kre-O figures include homages to their live action film, Timelines, Transformers: Prime and Beast Hunters sub-lines.
Kre-O G.I. Joe was released as the third Kre-O line in February 2013 as a Toys "R" Us exclusive. This collection is based primarily on Hasbro's G.I.Joe: A Real American Hero toy line, cartoons, and comic book series, but includes some Adventure Team Kreons as well.
Kre-O Star Trek was released as the fourth line of Kre-O sets in April 2013. The initial sets and Kreons are based on the 2009 reboot and its sequel Star Trek Into Darkness. A preview trailer was posted by Hasbro, first on Facebook, then later on YouTube. The trailer re-enacts the original "teaser trailer" for the first film, showing the construction of the U.S.S. Enterprise in Kre-O form and by Kreon construction workers. A press release made at the 2012 New York Toy Fair showed the completed Enterprise model (complete with flip-up "saucer" showing the ship's Bridge) and Kreons of Kirk, Spock and Sulu.
Kre-O Cityville Invasion is the fifth line of Kre-O sets, based on the popular CityVille online game series. This line introduces "Sonic Motion Technology", which triggers specific movements in special Kre-O bricks.
Kre-O Dungeon & Dragons is the sixth Kre-O line, released in January 2014. It is based on the popular role-playing game series of the same name. This line of toys includes a series of miniature figurines that can be used in the Dungeons & Dragons game.
- "Hasbro pushes into Lego's land with new blocks". Usatoday.Com. 2011-02-13. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "MTV Geek EXCLUSIVE Images: Transformers , Bumblee, and Ratchet". Geek-news.mtv.com. 2011-04-27. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- Tformers.com (2011-06-13). "Kre-O Transformers Optimus Prime Now Shipping - Time Lapse Video of Building Prime". Tformers.com. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "TFCC Magazine Issue #38 Tidbits". Tfw2005.com. 2011-03-29. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- Tformers.com (2011-02-11). "Toy Fair 2011 - Transformers Building Block Toys Coming In 2011". Tformers.com. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Official Hasbro site for the Kre-O BATTLESHIP sets". Hasbro.com. Retrieved 2015-04-18.
- Goellner, Caleb (2012-10-12). "Hasbro Reveals KRE-O 'G.I. Joe' Building Sets [NYCC 2012]". Comics Alliance. Retrieved 2013-01-18.
- "Star Trek Kre-O Sighted". 2013-04-18. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
- KREO (2012-07-06). "Trailer for Kre-O STAR TREK USS ENTERPRISE on YouTube". Youtube.com. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Full Press Release: 2012 NYTF: Hasbro Star Trek Kre-O First Look on TOY NEWS INTERNATIONAL Website". Toynewsi.com. Retrieved 2012-08-10.
- "Comic-Con: Hasbro Announces Dungeons & Dragons KRE-O Sets". ComingSoon.
- "Hasbro's KRE-O launches Dungeons & Dragon toy sets". Entertainment Weekly. 2013-07-16. Retrieved 2013-07-31.
- "Monday's Miniatures - D&D Kreon Warriors - Kre-o". Play Unplugged. Retrieved 18 April 2015.