Krimpen aan den IJssel
|Krimpen aan den IJssel|
Location in South Holland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Lennie Huizer (PvdA)|
|• Total||8.95 km2 (3.46 sq mi)|
|• Land||7.80 km2 (3.01 sq mi)|
|• Water||1.15 km2 (0.44 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−1 m (−3 ft)|
|Population (February 2017)|
|• Density||3,701/km2 (9,590/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Krimpen aan den IJssel (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈkrɪmpə(n) aːn dɛn ˈɛisəl] ( listen)) is a town and municipality in the western Netherlands, in the province of South Holland. The municipality had a population of 28,870 in 2017, and covers an area of 8.95 km2 (3.46 sq mi) of which 1.15 km2 (0.44 sq mi) is water.
Krimpen is first mentioned in a document from 1277. Like other hamlets, many different spellings of its name have occurred over time, among which the name Tingenijssel deviated the most from today's spelling. The municipality is on the south shore of the river Hollandse IJssel. For many centuries, the only buildings in Krimpen were farm houses built along the river dike. They formed more or less autonomous communities along the dike.
Before the 20th century, the two principal industrial employers were the brick factory Mijnlieff and the shipyard Van der Giessen de Noord.
In the beginning of the 20th century development began inland from the river dikes, and the municipality began to lose its agricultural character.
During the North Sea flood of 1953, the tidal barrier in the river IJssel proved to be inadequate. So in 1954 construction started on a new storm surge barrier, the first installation of the Delta Works. In 1958 it was completed together with the Algera Bridge which connects Krimpen with Capelle aan den IJssel.
In the mid 1960s, Krimpen became a commuter town for people working in Rotterdam, resulting in major expansion. Today most of the municipality has been built up, except for the Krimpenerwaard where the town council aims to retain the rural character.
- Waterbus route 1:
Dutch Topographic map of the municipality of Krimpen aan den IJssel, June 2015
- "L.M. HUIZER" (in Dutch). Gemeente Krimpen aan den IJssel. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 2922AD". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 7 April 2017. Retrieved 7 April 2017.
- "Testvértelepülések". Retrieved 30 April 2014.
||Capelle aan den IJssel
|Rotterdam / Nieuwe Maas|