Krimpenerwaard landscape on an October morning in 2009
Location in South Holland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Roel Cazemier (Incumbent) (VVD)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Krimpenerwaard is a municipality of the Netherlands. It is a rural area located in the east of the province of South Holland, just south of Gouda and east of the Rotterdam conurbation. It is bordered on the north by the river Hollandse IJssel, on the south by the river Lek and on the east by the stream Vlist.
Krimpenerwaard obtains its name from the town located in its western corner, Krimpen aan den IJssel. ("Krimp" used to mean a bend in a river.) "Waard" is the Dutch word for an interfluvial area between the winter dikes of different river channels (in this case, the Lek and the Hollandse IJssel). There are other such waarden in this area. The Lopikerwaard lies to the east; the Zuidplaspolder to the west. The name Krimpenerwaard first appeared in the historical records in 944.
The towns and villages in the Krimpenerwaard are:
- Krimpen aan de Lek
- Ouderkerk aan den IJssel
Dutch topographic map of the municipality of Krimpenerwaard, June 2015
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- This is a translation of the article by the same name on the Dutch version of Wikipedia.
- Wang, Y.; Koopmans, B. N.; Pohl, C. "The 1995 Flood in the Netherlands Monitored from Space - a Multisensor Approach". adsabs.harvard.edu.
- "Herindeling vijf gemeenten Krimpenerwaard". Binnenlands Bestuur (in Dutch). Retrieved 3 January 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Krimpenerwaard.|
- Nieko Jongerius's website on the Krimpenerwaard
- Map of Krimpenerwaard on Google Maps
- English page on the website for the Schieland en de Krimpenerwaard District Water Board
|This South Holland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|