|Former municipality of Switzerland|
|• Mayor||Madlen Früh-Grob|
|• Total||7.23 km2 (2.79 sq mi)|
|Elevation||803 m (2,635 ft)|
|Population (Dec 2011)|
|• Density||36/km2 (93/sq mi)|
|Surrounded by||Bütschwil, Mosnang, Wattwil|
Krinau is first mentioned in 1357 as Krinnow.
Krinau had an area, as of 2006[update], of 7.3 km2 (2.8 sq mi). Of this area, 57.6% is used for agricultural purposes, while 39.1% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 2.8% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (0.6%) is non-productive (rivers or lakes).
The former municipality is located in the Toggenburg Wahlkreis. It is in the western quarter of the Thur valley on the edge of the Chrüzeggkamm. It consists of the village of Krinau and the hamlets of Altschwil, Au, Dreischlatt, Gurtberg, Schuflenberg, Krinäuli, Niederberg, Kapf and Gruben.
Coat of arms
Krinau had a population (as of 2011) of 260. As of 2007[update], about 5.9% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Of the foreign population, (as of 2000[update]), 2 are from Germany, 2 are from Austria, and 2 are from another country. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 0.4%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (98.6%), with Italian being second most common ( 0.4%) and Romansh being third ( 0.4%). Of the Swiss national languages (as of 2000[update]), 274 speak German, 1 person speaks, Italian, and 1 person speaks Romansh.
The age distribution, as of 2000[update], in Krinau is; 35 children or 12.6% of the population are between 0 and 9 years old and 46 teenagers or 16.5% are between 10 and 19. Of the adult population, 30 people or 10.8% of the population are between 20 and 29 years old. 37 people or 13.3% are between 30 and 39, 38 people or 13.7% are between 40 and 49, and 28 people or 10.1% are between 50 and 59. The senior population distribution is 27 people or 9.7% of the population are between 60 and 69 years old, 27 people or 9.7% are between 70 and 79, there are 10 people or 3.6% who are between 80 and 89.
In 2000[update] there were 28 persons (or 10.1% of the population) who were living alone in a private dwelling. There were 64 (or 23.0%) persons who were part of a couple (married or otherwise committed) without children, and 152 (or 54.7%) who were part of a couple with children. There were 22 (or 7.9%) people who lived in single parent home, 6 who lived household made up of unrelated persons, and 6 who are either institutionalized or live in another type of collective housing.
The entire Swiss population is generally well educated. In Krinau about 60.6% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule). Out of the total population in Krinau, as of 2000[update], the highest education level completed by 93 people (33.5% of the population) was Primary, while 83 (29.9%) have completed the Secondary level, 27 (9.7%) have attended a Tertiary school, and 9 (3.2%) are not in school. The remainder did not answer this question.
The historical population is given in the following table:
As of 2007[update], Krinau had an unemployment rate of 1.19%. As of 2005[update], there were 53 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 23 businesses involved in this sector. 12 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 3 businesses in this sector. 22 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 7 businesses in this sector.
As of October 2009[update] the average unemployment rate was 3.6%. There were 29 businesses in the municipality of which 3 were involved in the secondary sector of the economy while 4 were involved in the third.
From the 2000 census[update], 88 or 31.7% are Roman Catholic, while 174 or 62.6% belonged to the Swiss Reformed Church. Of the rest of the population there is 1 individual who belongs to another Christian church and there are 15 (or about 5.40% of the population) who belong to no church, are agnostic or atheist.
- Amtliches Gemeindeverzeichnis der Schweiz published by the Swiss Federal Statistical Office (in German) accessed 2 January 2013
- Krinau in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived 2016-01-05 at the Wayback Machine. accessed 14-January-2010
- Flags of the World.com accessed 14-January-2010
- Canton of St. Gallen Statistics Office Archived January 22, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. Wohnbevölkerung (bis 2011) (in German) accessed 1 May 2012
- Der Kanton St. Gallen und seine Menschen in Zahlen - Ausgabe 2009 (in German) accessed 30 December 2009
- Canton St. Gallen Statistics-Hauptergebnisse der Volkszählung 2000: Regionen- und Gemeindevergleich-Personen Archived October 3, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 30 December 2009
- St Gallen Canton statistics-Unemployment (in German) accessed 30 December 2009
- St Gallen Canton statistics-Businesses Archived July 7, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 31 December 2009
- St Gallen Canton statistics-Commuters Archived July 22, 2009, at the Wayback Machine. (in German) accessed 31 December 2009
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Krinau.|