This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Alma mater||Harvard University, UCLA Film School|
|Known for||Graphic design, Typeface Design|
|Awards||2012 Goudy Award|
Kris Holmes (born 1950, Reedley, California) is a typeface designer, a calligrapher, type design educator and an animator. She, with Charles Bigelow, is the co-creator of the Lucida font family. She is President of Bigelow & Holmes Inc., a typeface design studio.
At Reed college in Portland, Oregon Holmes studied calligraphy with Calligrapher Laureate of Oregon Lloyd J. Reynolds and modern dance with Judy Massee. In New York, she then continued her education by studying calligraphy and type design with Hermann Zapf and typeface design with Ed Benguiat as well as modern dance at the Martha Graham and Alwin Nikolais schools. She received her B.A. from Harvard University and her MFA from UCLA Film School in Animation.
She has taught at the Rochester Institute of Technology in both the Graphic Design and the Film Departments, Portland State University, the Museum Art School (Portland), Rhode Island School of Design, Santa Monica College, and the Otis College of Art and Design.
Recent projects include the design of Lucida Grande, the system font for Apple Computer's OS X Operating System and the creation of the core fonts of the Java 2 language and developer kit for Sun Microsystems. These multilingual fonts cover five scripts, including Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Hebrew and Arabic, and twelve styles, comprising 10,000 characters in all. Other computer platform clients include the Microsoft Corporation, Sun Microsystems’ Solaris division, and Lucent Technologies. Font designs include: Microsoft Wingdings (Windows 95 and 98), Lucida Console (Windows NT), TrueType Chicago, Monaco, Geneva, New York, Apple Chancery, Textile, Capitals (Macintosh OS), Lucida Unicode (Java, Solaris, and Lucent Inferno). Font designs additionally licensed by Adobe Systems, Agfa Corporation, ITC, Hewlett Packard, Linotype Library, and Monotype Typography.
As the principal artist at Bigelow & Holmes, Holmes is responsible for the creation of over 100 digital typefaces, including conception, research, drawing, computer input, digital editing, and production management. Her illustrations have appeared in Scientific American, The Seybold Report, Computer Graphics, Fine Print and other publications. She has designed signage for Ghirardelli Square, San Francisco and Walter Lantz Studio, UCLA. Her work is included in the permanent collection of the Klingspor Museum, Germany and the Cary Graphic Arts Collection, Rochester Institute of Technology.
Her screenplay, Vavilov, won a 2002 UCLA Sloan Foundation Student Film Award. She is the creator of the animated film La Bloomba, which was awarded a First Prize in the ChloroFilms 2009 contest.
- Lucida Family: Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans, Lucida Console, Lucida Bright, Lucida Handwriting, Lucida Calligraphy, Lucida Casual
- For Apple, Inc:
- "Lloyd Reynolds". Bigelow & Holmes. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
- "Kris Holmes". Identifont. Dec 2009. Retrieved 7 Mar 2015.
- "Kris Holmes". Identifont. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Blogger". rittypefacedesign.blogspot.com.
- "Before emoji, there were Wingdings". Boing Boing. 2016-03-16. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Reading Digital Symposium".
- "La Bloomba". Vimeo. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- "Chlorofilms!". Biology Fortified, Inc. Retrieved 2016-04-19.
- Macmillan, Neil. An A–Z of Type Designers. Yale University Press: 2006. ISBN 0-300-11151-7.
- Breuer, Gerda, Meer, Julia (ed). Women in Graphic Design Jovis, Berlin: 2012, p. 477. ISBN 978-3-86859-153-8.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kris Holmes.|