Kris Marshall at the premiere of A Few Best Men in Sydney, Australia, in January 2012
1 April 1973 
Malmesbury, Wiltshire, England, UK
Kristopher "Kris" Marshall (born 1 April 1973) is an English actor who is best known for playing Nick Harper in My Family, Colin Frissell in the 2003 film Love Actually, Adam in BT Retail adverts from 2005 until 2011 and Dave in the first series of Citizen Khan (2012). He is currently playing island lead detective DI Humphrey Goodman in Death In Paradise, having taken over the role in April 2013 for the show's third series. In 2008 he was hospitalised with head injuries from a traffic accident in Bristol.
Marshall was born in Bath, Somerset and then moved with his family to Hong Kong and later to Canada. Upon his return to the U.K., he was educated at the co-educational independent school, Wells Cathedral School, located in the cathedral city of Wells in Somerset and after failing his initial A-levels in his first year of sixth form, he enrolled at the Redroofs Theatre School in the town of Maidenhead in Berkshire for his final year of sixth form.
Marshall made an early career appearance on the police series The Bill but it was in 2000 that his major breakthrough role came as Nick Harper in the BBC sitcom My Family. In 2003 he appeared in the film Love Actually as Colin Frissell, a disgruntled Englishman who goes to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in the United States to find love. In 2004 Marshall appeared as DS Luke Stone in the police drama series Murder City. From 2005 to 2011, Marshall appeared on TV and in print for BT Retail adverts, where he played the character Adam; with Esther Hall portraying his character's eventual wife Jane. He also played Dave in the BBC comedy series Citizen Khan in 2012.
Since departing his full-time role in My Family in 2003, Marshall has returned twice. The first time was for one episode in season five in 2004 and the second was for a Comic Relief special in 2005. In an interview, he claimed that playing the part of Nick was awkward, as he was a lot older than the character. He finished working on the film Heist at the end of 2006, which aired in April 2008 on BBC Four. During the summer of 2008, Marshall appeared at Trafalgar Studios in the first UK run of Neil LaBute's play Fat Pig. He became a regular playing the character Ethan on the series Traffic Light in 2011.
In April 2013, it was announced that Marshall would be joining the cast of BBC drama Death In Paradise as the island's new lead detective, DI Humphrey Goodman. His character was introduced in the first episode of the third series which aired on 14 January 2014, with his first case being to solve the murder of his predecessor, DI Richard Poole (played by Ben Miller).
Marshall suffered head injuries after being hit by a car in Bristol in 2008. The accident happened in the early hours of 28 April 2008 as he enjoyed a night out with friends in Bristol city centre. He was taken to Bristol Royal Infirmary where a scan revealed head injuries. He made a full recovery and began his performances in the play Fat Pig three weeks later, as scheduled. Marshall supports Aston Villa and has said that a card from the club helped him through his accident.
Marshall was charged with failing to provide a breath test in October 2011, after police stopped his car in the Tesco car park in Wells, Somerset. Marshall had failed a breath test at the scene, and then refused to provide a second sample at the police station. He pleaded guilty and was disqualified from driving for 6 months.
Film, television and radio
|1998||Trial & Retribution II||PC Henshaw|
|1999||The Most Fertile Man in Ireland||Éamonn|
|1999||Five Seconds to Spare||Martin|
|1999||The Bill||Hugh Kane||1 episode|
|2000–2005||My Family||Nick Harper||49 episodes|
|2001||Je t'aime John Wayne||Belmondo|
|2002||Doctor Zhivago||Pasha Antipov|
|2002||The Four Feathers||Castleton|
|2002||Deathwatch||Private Barry Starinski|
|2003||Love Actually||Colin Frissell|
|2004||The Merchant of Venice||Gratiano|
|2004||My Life In Film||Art|
|2004–2006||Murder City||DS Luke Stone||10 episodes|
|2005||Funland||Dudley Sutton||11 episodes|
|2007||Death at a Funeral||Troy|
|2007||Catwalk Dogs||Michael Purvis|
|2008||Spending My Inheritance||Harry||Radio drama|
|2010||Human Target||Doug||1 episode|
|2011||A Few Best Men||Tom|
|2011–2013||The Diary of Samuel Pepys||Samuel Pepys||Radio drama|
|2012||15 Kids and Counting||n/a||Narrator|
|2012||Citizen Khan||Dave||6 episodes|
|2013||16 Kids and Counting||n/a||Narrator|
|2014–||Death in Paradise||DI Humphrey Goodman|
|2015||Sparks & Embers||Tom Sanger|
|2006||The Revenger's Tragedy||Vindici|
- 2002 – British Comedy Awards – Best Newcomer
- "Kris Marshall - Biography". Talk Talk Group. Retrieved 18 February 2014.
- "BBC - Kris Marshall joins BBC One's Death In Paradise - Media Centre". bbc.co.uk.
- "BBC One Sets Premiere Date For 'Death In Paradise' Season 3 - TVWise". TVWise.
- "Kris Marshall". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2013-10-14.
- Tim Guest (16 January 2012). "Meet the new Flat 6 flatmates". BT. Retrieved 28 January 2013.
- "Death in Paradise spoiler: Det Insp Richard Poole in New Year major shock storyline - Celebrity News - Showbiz & TV - Daily Express". Express.co.uk.
- "IMDb Sparks & Embers".
- "BT ad actor Kris Marshall banned from driving for six months after refusing to take breath test". Daily Mail (London). 11 November 2011.
- "Actor Marshall hurt in accident". BBC. 2008-04-28. Retrieved 2008-04-28.
- Singh, Anita (2008-04-28). "Kris Marshall 'in stable condition' after accident". London: The Daily Telegraph.
- Smith, Neil (2008-05-17). "Star returns to stage after crash". BBC News Online. Retrieved 2008-05-19.
- Sunday Mercury (2008-10-11). "Aston Villa helped save my life says BT commercial actor - Birmingham Mail". Sundaymercury.net. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- "My Family star breath test charge". BBC. 6 October 2011. Retrieved 6 October 2011.
- "My Family actor Kris Marshall banned from driving". BBC News. 10 November 2011.
- "Okaamerikee.com". Okaamerikee.com. Retrieved 2013-03-20.
- Munn, Patrick (2013-04-09). "Ben Miller Exits BBC One's 'Death In Paradise', Kris Marshall Cast As New Detective". TVWise. Retrieved 2013-08-01.