Klim Type Foundry
The Klim Type Foundry is the type foundry of Kris Sowersby, a New Zealand typeface designer. Klim was founded in 2005 and is currently based in Wellington. Klim produces retail typefaces, custom typefaces and custom lettering and logotypes. Sowersby has garnered many international awards for his typefaces.
Sowersby, born in 1981, graduated from the Wanganui School of Design in 2003. 'Feijoa', his first retail typeface, was released in 2007, followed by 'National'. National first gained him international recognition, winning a Type Directors Club award in 2008. His typefaces 'Hardys' and 'Serrano' won the same recognition in 2009. Sowersby has collaborated with other notable designers, including Christian Schwartz and Erik Spiekermann in the design of 'FF Meta Serif'.
In 2015 Sowersby created a custom typeface for Tourism New Zealand with Rangi Kipa, Philip Kelly and Karl Wixon. Sowersby devised letterforms which were carved on blocks of kauri by Kipa, which were then inked, printed and digitised to create the typeface.
Financial Times redesign
In 2014 Sowersby was commissioned to produce a new custom typeface, 'Financier', for the redesign of the business and economics daily newspaper, the Financial Times. The Financial Times' head of design stated that the paper wanted "an elegant, authoritative serif with the versatility to handle news and features stories (in the arts, science and sport, as well as finance)" and a connection to its 'British heritage'. Sowersby has noted that he looked to typefaces by Eric Gill in his research for the new typeface.
'Financier' was awarded a gold pin in New Zealand's Best Awards in 2015.
Air New Zealand
- "Kris Sowersby | Designer". FontShop. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- "Klim Type Foundry - Home". Klim.co.nz. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- "ADC Young Guns ® | ADC Young Guns 8 Winners". Adcyoungguns.org. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- "Type Directors Club : News : TDC2 2008 Results : National". Tdc.org. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- "TDC2 2009 Winners | Type Directors Club". Tdc.org. Retrieved 2012-07-17.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20111217050845/http://klim.co.nz/lettering_hbr.php. Archived from the original on December 17, 2011. Retrieved February 14, 2012. Missing or empty
- https://web.archive.org/web/20120101163027/http://www.klim.co.nz/lettering_bnz.php. Archived from the original on January 1, 2012. Retrieved February 14, 2012. Missing or empty
- "Pure Pākati - carved from the land". Radio New Zealand. 20 May 2015. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- "Pure Pākati Design Information". Klim.co.nz. 20 May 2015. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- Wood, Alan (15 May 2015). "100% Pure NZ to get a refresh at Trenz tourism conference". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- Garcia, Mario (15 September 2014). "Financial Times: A classic redesign for the digital age". Poynter.org. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- Sowersby, Kris (15 September 2014). "Financier Design Information". Klim. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- "Klim Type Foundry and The Financial Times. Financier Typeface Family". Best Awards. Retrieved 11 October 2015.
- "Air New Zealand's distinctive aircraft tails go black". Air New Zealand. 20 July 2012. Retrieved 11 October 2015.