Krishan Kant Paul
Krishan Kant Paul
कृष्ण कान्त पाॅल
|Governor of Uttarakhand|
8 January 2015
|Preceded by||Aziz Qureshi|
|Governor of Manipur|
16 September 2014 – 15 May 2015
|Preceded by||Vinod Duggal|
|Succeeded by||Syed Ahmed|
|Governor of Meghalaya|
1 July 2013 – 6 January 2015
|Preceded by||Ranjit Shekhar Mooshahary|
|Succeeded by||Keshari Nath Tripathi|
|Commissioner of Police, Delhi|
Feb 2004 – July 2007
|Preceded by||R. S. Gupta|
|Succeeded by||Y. S. Dadwal|
|Born||6 February 1948|
|Alma mater||Panjab University, Chandigarh|
Krishan Kant Paul, also known as K. K. Paul (born 6 February 1948), is the 6th and current Governor of Indian state of Uttarakhand, in office since January 2015. He had previously served as Governor of Meghalaya for over one year (2013–15) with the additional charge of Mizoram and Nagaland for the same post.
Early life and background
Paul was born on 6 February 1948. He did his post-graduation (Master of Science) in Chemistry from Punjab University, Chandigarh. This was followed by his Ph.D thesis in fluorine chemistry, which was highly commended and resulted in 15 research publications of a technical nature, in international scientific journals of repute. In the context of his research work in chemistry, he has over 20 papers published in international scientific journals of repute.
As an IPS officer
Paul joined the Indian Police Service (IPS) in 1970 and was allocated to the AGMUT (Arunachal Pradesh–Goa–Mizoram–Union Territories) cadre, under which he was first posted on Andaman and Nicobar Islands and then served as chief of Arunachal Pradesh Police. He was the Commissioner of Delhi Police from February 2004 to July 2007. Paul is credited with having cracked the first ever cricket betting racket in which South African captain Hansie Cronje was indicted. Paul has experience working in the Intelligence Bureau (IB) and the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW).
As a member of UPSC
As the Governor of states
On 2 July 2013, Paul was appointed as the new Governor of Meghalaya. He joined on 8 July 2013. On 2 July 2014, he took the an oath as Governor of Nagaland. He was given the additional charge as the 18th Governor of Nagaland.
On 16 September 2014, Paul was sworn in as the 14th Governor of Mizoram. Mizoram was assigned to him as additional charge. On 17 September 2014, he was sworn in as the 15th Governor of Manipur. Manipur was assigned to him as an additional charge.
Paul was sworn in as the 6th Governor of Uttarakhand on 8 January 2015 replacing Aziz Qureshi, who was sent to take charge as the new Governor of Mizoram. This challenged the move of the Narendra Modi government to seek resignations of Governors appointed during the UPA regime. Qureshi filed a writ petition in the Supreme Court of India stating that Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami had called him up the previous July to seek his resignation. However, Goswami denied the allegations.
Paul is an avid cricket lover. He was amongst the first Ph.D holders in Police Service. He has maintained his touch with the academics and continued to write on various matters of topical interest. One of his columns, "Brass Tacks", appeared regularly in the daily newspaper The Tribune.
- "Raj Bhawan of Uttarakhand". governoruk.gov.in. 22 January 2014. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "Krishna Kant Paul sworn in as Uttarakhand Governor". The Economic Times. 8 January 2015. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "KK Paul to be new Uttarakhand Governor". The Hindu. 6 January 2015. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- "FORMER COMMISSIONERS OF DELHI POLICE". Delhi Police. 2 May 2013. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "KK Paul is new governor of Meghalaya". The Telegraph (Calcutta). 2 July 2013. Retrieved 21 February 2015.
- "(Profile) UPSC Member: Dr. K.K. Paul | IAS UPSC EXAM PORTAL - India's Largest Community for UPSC, Civil Services Exam Aspirants". Iasexamportal.com. 2007-07-26. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- "K.K. Paul is Delhi's new police commissioner". Siliconindia.com. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- "The Big House Constant". Outlookindia.com. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- KK Paul takes oath as Nagaland Governor (2015-01-04). "KK Paul takes oath as Nagaland Governor | Eastern Mirror Nagaland". Web.archive.org. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "K.K. Paul takes oath as acting Mizoram governor". Business Standard. IANS. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- "Meet the new Lieutenant Governor of Delhi". Ndtv.com. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- "K K Paul appointed as Uttarakhand Governor | Current Affairs Today". Currentaffairs.gktoday.in. Retrieved 2016-09-10.
- "Pranab Mukherjee's all-powerful advisor Omita Paul - Rediff.com India News". Rediff.com. 2012-07-10. Retrieved 2016-09-10.