|Died||August 7, 1996 (aged 18–19)|
Jaffna, Sri Lanka
|Parent(s)||Rassammah and Kumarswamy|
Krishanti Kumaraswamy (Tamil: கிருஷாந்தி குமாரசுவாமி), also spelled Krishanthi Kumaraswamy, was a Tamil woman in Sri Lanka who was raped and murdered on 7 August 1996 by 6 Sri Lankan Army soldiers; the effort to bring her assailants to justice became a cause célèbre as a part of the protest against atrocities committed by the Sri Lankan Army during the Sri Lanka civil war.
On August 7, 1996 Krishanthy Kumaraswamy went missing on her way home after sitting her GCE Advanced Level examination, equivalent to grade 12 in many countries, at Chundikuli Girls High School. She was last seen alive at 11.30 am at Kaithady Army checkpoint in Jaffna.
Her mother Rassammah, brother Pranavan (Age 16), and family friend Mr. Kirupakaran (Age 35) became concerned and went in search of Krishanthy. They were also murdered.
According to pro-rebel Tamilnet Forty five days later, the bodies of the four were later found in shallow graves within the army base. A three quarter width rope was found tied round the neck of mother Rassammah’s corpse. Mr Kirupakaran too appeared to have been strangled in the same manner since the rope was wound tightly round his body. The bodies of Krishanthy and her brother Pranavan were cut in several pieces and haphazardly wrapped in black colored sheets.
Amnesty International and other human rights organizations like Women for Peace launched a sustained campaign to pressure the Sri Lankan government to arrest and prosecute the soldiers. Six soldiers who were directly involved in the raping were sentenced to death by the court of the government of Sri Lanka.
Related to incident
- Arumaithurai Tharmaletchumi
- Case of Wijikala Nanthan and Sivamani Sinnathamby Weerakon
- Ida Carmelitta
- Ilayathambi Tharsini
- Mary Madeleine
- Murugesapillai Koneswary
- Premawathi Manamperi
- Premini Thanuskodi
- Thambipillai Thanalakshmi
- "SUNILA ABEYSEKERA: PEACE CAMPAIGNER ON A WAR-TORN ISLAND". Collection. Archived from the original on 2007-06-14. Retrieved 2007-08-11. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Jaffna MPCS President assassinated". Tamilnet. Retrieved 2007-02-02.
- Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights, and Labor (2002-02-23). "Country Reports on Human Rights Practices". United States Department of State. Archived from the original on 2001-06-07. Retrieved 2006-12-28. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help)CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Sunila Abeysekara: Peace campaign on a war torn Island". UNESCO.org. 2007-02-02.
- "Death sentence for Krishanthi accused". Tamilnet. 1998-07-03. Retrieved 2006-12-28.
- "'No instructions on Chemmani' CID". BBC. 4 January 2006.