Diocese of Krishna-Godavari of the Church of South India
|Diocese of Krishna Godavari|
|Ecclesiastical province||Church of South India|
|Cathedral||St Andrew's Cathedral,Machilipatnam|
About the Diocese
The diocese covers the Krishna Godavari areas of Andhra Pradesh state. The headquarters of the diocese is at Machilipatnam.The Krishna-Godavari diocese is one of the largest diocese in Andhra Pradesh extending from Ongole District in the south through Srikakulam District in the northern part of Andhra Pradesh .The current bishop of the diocese is Govada Dyvasirvadam who is also serving as the moderator of Church of South India.
Bishops of the Diocese
- Vedanayagam Samuel Azariah (first Bishop of KG diocese)
- Yeddy Muthyalu (1947-1955)
- A. B. Elliott (1955-1961)
- N. D. Ananda Rao Samuel (1961–1974)
- Luther Abraham (1974-1975; as Moderator Comissionary)
- T. B. D. Prakasa Rao (1975–2001)
- Govada Dyvasirvadam (2002 to )
Notable Churches in the Diocese
- St.Andrews Church, Machilipatnam
St.Andrews Church, Machilipatnam was built in the year 1914.This church is the cathedral of Krishna-Godavari Diocese.
- London Mission Memorial Church, Visakhapatnam
London Mission Memorial Church was built in the year 1804.
- St Paul's Basilica, Vijayawada
St Paul's Basilica, Vijayawada was built in the year 1900 and the permission for public worship was granted to St Paul's Basilica in November 1900. It was dedicated on February 17, 1901 by Henry Whitehead, Bishop of Madras at that period.It was the first Basilica in the Church of South India when it was renamed from the name "St Paul's Church" to "St Paul's Basilica" by the former moderator G. Devakadasham on the occasion of Synod at Vijayawada on 11 January.
- St John's Church, Visakhapatnam
St John's Church, Visakhapatnam was built in the year 1844. It was designed by the eminent engineer, Arthur Cotton (father of the Godavari irrigation scheme). The Church was consecrated in 1844 by George Spencer, Bishop of Madras, and named in honour of St. John the Evangelist.
- St Paul's Church, Visakhapatnam
St Paul's Church, Visakhapatnam was built in the year 1838 and was consecrated by Spencer.
- St.Mary's Church, Machilipatnam
St.Mary's Church at Machilipatnam was built in the year 1815.
- St.Peter's Church,Bhimili, Bheemunipatnam
The church was built in 1864 and was consecrated by Frederick Gell, Bishop of Madras, March 17, 1864.
- St.John's Church, Guntur
- Rayalaseema Diocese of the Church of South India
- Diocese of Medak of the Church of South India
- Nandyal Diocese of the Church of South India
- Karimnagar Diocese of the Church of South India
- Dornakal Diocese of the Church of South India
- Church of South India