Krishna (TV series)
|Created by||Ramanand Sagar|
|Starring||Sarvadaman D. Banerjee
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of episodes||221|
|Running time||45 minutes|
|Original release||1993– 1996|
Krishna (also called Shri Krishna) is an Indian television series created, written, and directed by Ramanand Sagar. The series originally aired weekly on Doordarshan. It is an adaptation of the stories of the life of Krishna, based on Bhagavat Puran, Brahma Vaivart Puran, Hari Vamsa, Vishnu Puran, Padma Puran, Garga Samhita, Bhagavad Gita & Mahabharat. The TV series was first broadcast on Doordarshan's Metro Channel (DD 2) from 1993. In 1996, the show was broadcast from the beginning on DD National. In 1999, the show moved to Zee where the remaining episodes were broadcast.
The entire series was re-telecast on Sony starting 2001 and later on Star.
This series is now being re-telecasted on ShivaShakthiSai TV, a Telugu Devotional channel, from January 15, 2016.
This serial was also telecast in Mauritius by Mauritius Broadcasting Corporation, in Toronto on Channel 57, in Nepal on Nepal TV, in South Africa on M.Net, in Indonesia on P.T. Cipta Television, in Jakarta on Pendidikan, and in London on T.V.Asia (Satellite).
Direction and casting
Shri Krishna was produced by Ramanand Sagar, Subhash Sagar and Prem Sagar under the banner “Sagar Enterprises” and directed by Ramanand Sagar, Anand Sagar and Moti Sagar. The role of young Krishna was played by Swapnil Joshi and adult Krishna was played by Sarvadaman D. Banerjee.
Ravindra Jain composed music for this serial. The title song, "Shree Krishna Govind Hare Murari" is popular not only in India but also around the world.
- Sarvadaman D. Banerjee as Krishna
- Prem Chand Sharma as Pandu / Nakul
- Reshma Modi as Radha
- Swapnil Joshi as Young Krishna
- Deepak Deulkar as Balram
- Pinky Parikh as Rukmini / Yamuna / Lakshmi / Durga
- Mona Parekh as Jambavati
- Shweta Rastogi as Young Radha
- Vilas Raj as Kans
- Paulomi Mukherjee as Devaki
- Sunil Pandey as Vasudev
- Deepak Dave / Sagar Saini as Narad
- Vijay Kavish as Ugrasen
- Pramod Kapoor as Akrura
- Damini Kanwal as Yashoda
- Sandeep Mohan as Arjun
- Mahendra Ghule as Bhim / Hanuman
- Raman Khatri as Yudhishthir
- Govind Khatri as Karna
- Phalguni Parikh as Draupadi
- Jyotin Dave as Indra
- Jharna Dave as Bhanamati
- Radha Krishna Dutt as Maharishi Uttang / Dev Shilpi Vishwakarma / Jarasandh
- Mukul Nag as Sudama / Ashwatthama
- Sheeba Chaddha as Vasundhara, Sudama's wife
- Tarakesh Chauhan as Dhritarashtra
- Raj Premi as Shishupal
- Sonia Kapoor as Subhadra
- Shashi Sharma as Satyabhama
- Kumar Hegde as Duryodhan
- Deepak Jethi as Dushasan
- Gautam Chaturvedi as Pondrak
- bhavya gandhi as Abhimanyu
Shri Krishna won the Uptron Award for the “Best director” in the year 1995. The show was one of the biggest grossers for Doordarshan in the mid to late '90s. It earned over Rs 100 crore.