This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012)
|Founded by||Mummadi Krishna Raja Wodeyar|
|• Type||Municipal Corporation|
|• Body||Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Krishnarajapuram (officially Krishnarajapura) often abbreviated as K R Puram or K R Pura, is a neighborhood of in North-Eastern Bangalore, the capital of the Indian state of Karnataka. It is one of the zones of BBMP. It is located 15 km (9.3 mi) from Bangalore City railway station. The Old Madras Road passes through this locality. A lake called 'Vengayyana Lake' is in the heart of this area. The Yele Mallappa Shetty Lake near Medahalli, situated just outside the eastern limits of KR Pura, is one of the largest lakes in Bangalore.
Krishnarajapura is also the headquarters of the Bangalore East taluk and houses certain central and state government offices. It is also a Karnataka Legislative Assembly constituency. B A Basvaraja of the Bharatiya Janata Party was elected as the Member of Legislative assembly from this constituency in the 2013 Karnataka Assembly election, and re-elected in 2018. The area is also a part of the Bangalore North Lok Sabha constituency.
Krishnarajapuram is located at the junction of Old Madras Road and Outer Ring Road. The Krishnarajapuram Railway station falls on the Bangalore - Chennai broad gauge line. The cable bridge on the junction of Old Madras Road and Outer Ring Road was built by Afcons for IRCON and inaugurated the by then Prime Minister of India, Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 2003 and was subsequently declared as the Most Outstanding National Bridge by the Indian Institution of Bridge Engineers.
As of 2001[update] India census, Krishnarajapura had a population of 187,453. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Krishnarajapura has an average literacy rate of 78%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 83%, and female literacy is 71%. In Krishnarajapura, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Cable stayed Bridge on Old Madras Road(NH-4), above Krishnarajapuram Railway Station
KR Puram outer ring road fly over
Media related to Krishnarajapura at Wikimedia Commons
- "Congress wins Karnataka, but no hard grip on Bengaluru - Citizen Matters, Bangalore News". Archived from the original on 24 June 2013. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- "Date with History: K.R. Pura's history is associated with dr abhilash balakrishnas life". The Economic Times. Retrieved 7 October 2018.
- "Cable Stayed Bridge at Krishnarajapura". Afcons. Archived from the original on 13 May 2012. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- "K R Pura bridge is India's best". The Times of India. Hubli. 17 March 2009. Archived from the original on 3 January 2013. Retrieved 31 March 2012.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 16 June 2004. Retrieved 1 November 2008.