|Occupation||Journalist and correspondent|
|Spouse(s)||John Hughes (m. 2017)|
Early life and education
Welker is the daughter of Harvey and Julie Welker. Her father is an engineer, her mother a real estate agent. Welker's father is white and her mother is black. She graduated from Germantown Friends School in Philadelphia in 1994 and Harvard College with a Bachelor of Arts in 1998. At Harvard, she majored in history and graduated with honors.
Welker has worked at ABC affiliates WLNE-TV in Providence, Rhode Island, and KRCR-TV in Redding/Chico, California, and joined NBC in 2005 at affiliate WCAU in Philadelphia, where she was a reporter and weekend anchor. She then joined NBC News in 2010 as a correspondent based at the NBC News West Coast Headquarters in Burbank, California. She became an NBC White House correspondent in December 2011. Welker regularly represents MSNBC at the daily White House press briefings as well as reports live for various programs on the channel. She fills in for Lester Holt on NBC Nightly News and Katy Tur on MSNBC. She also fills in for Savanah, Hoda, Shenielle, and Peter on Weekday and Weekend Today.
Welker married John Hughes on March 4, 2017, in Philadelphia.
- Kristen Welker (@kwelkernbc) (July 1, 2015). "Thanks so much! "@ happy. We share with Pam Anderson and Lady Diana. Solid company."". Twitter. Retrieved April 6, 2016.
- "Kristen Welker". msnbc.com. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Philly Magazine: "HughE Dillon: Jonas Brothers Play Ball in Camden - Plus today’s Snoop Dogg appearance, a farewell party for NBC 10′s Kristen Welker, and D.A. Seth Williams sings for his supper" By Hugh E. Dillon August 30, 2010
- Dan Gross. " Go West Young Kristen Welker." Philadelphia Daily News, August 19, 2010, p. 28.
- Philly Magazine: "Race For Votes Flier's Bigoted, Sexist, Welker Camp Argues" by Cynthia Burton and Mark McDonald April 27, 1995
- Philly Magazine: "Kristen Welker’s New Gig: Hanging Out With the Obamas - The Philly native and NBC10 alum joined the White House press corps" By Gail Shister December 20, 2011
- Philly Magazine: "Brian Williams, Matt Lauer … Kristen Welker? - The Philly-bred reporter is headed for the big leagues as a national correspondent for “Nightly News”" By Gail Shister August 19, 2010
- "Harvard Alumni Directory". Retrieved April 9, 2015.
- Patricia Clifford. "Family Celebrates Welker's Career Move." Philadelphia Tribune, August 31, 2010, p. 8B.
- Foster, Brooke Lea (March 10, 2017). "For NBC's Kristen Welker, Love Took Its Time". The New York Times. Retrieved April 28, 2017.