Kristian Kristiansen (archaeologist)
Education and career
Kristiansen was born in Hyrup on 21 August 1948. He studied prehistoric archaeology at Aarhus University and the University of Copenhagen, obtaining his Special Magister Thesis from Aarhus University in 1975, and his Dr Phil at Aarhus University in 1998 on his synthesis "Europe Before History". He was the director of the Danish Archaeological Heritage Administration from 1979 to 1994, and since then has been a professor at the University of Gothenburg.
Kristiansen initiated the founding of the European Association of Archaeologists in 1994, and served as its first president until 1998. He was also the founding editor the European Journal of Archaeology. He has held visiting professorships at the Sorbonne, Stanford University, the University of Cambridge and the University of Oxford.
Awards and honours
- Knight of the Order of the Dannebrog, 1985
- Honorary fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 1991
- Member of the Royal Society of Sciences and Letters in Gothenburg, 1994
- Foreign member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Letters, History and Antiquities, 2002
- European Archaeological Heritage Prize, 2005
- Society for American Archaeology Book Award, 2007 (for The Rise of Bronze Age Society)
- Honorary fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London, 2009
- British Academy Grahame Clark Medal, 2016
- Kristiansen, Kristian (1998). Europe Before History. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- —; Larsson, Thomas B. (2005). The Rise of Bronze Age Society: Travels, Transmissions and Transformations. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- "Kristian Kristiansen". University of Gothenburg. Retrieved 2017-10-11.
- Barker, Graeme, ed. (1999). Companion Encyclopedia of Archaeology. Volume 1. London: Routledge. pp. xxiii. ISBN 9780415064484.
- "Utländska ledamöter". Kungliga Vitterhetsakademien. Retrieved 2017-10-11.
- "EAA Heritage Prize". European Association of Archaeologists. Retrieved 2017-10-11.
- "SAA Book Award" (PDF). Society for American Archaeology. Retrieved 2017-10-11.
- "Fellows Directory". Society of Antiquaries. Retrieved 2017-10-11.
- "Kristian Kristiansen received British Academy's Grahame Clark Medal". European Association of Archaeologists. Retrieved 11 October 2017.