Kristin Prevallet (b. 1966 in Denver) is an American poet and essayist who currently lives and works in New York City. Prevallet studied with Robert Creeley at SUNY Buffalo and has described herself as working in the tradition of William Carlos Williams, Charles Olson and the ongoing stream of American high modernists. In recent years, she has appeared regularly at the Bowery Poetry Club, the venue which defined the New York downtown poetry scene in the late 1990s and early 2000s (decade). In her academic life, she has taught at Bard College, The New School for Social Research, and currently at St. John's University in Queens. She has also lectured and performed frequently at the Jack Kerouac School at Naropa University (formerly The Naropa Institute) in Boulder, Colorado. She is also a literary translator of French, for which she was awarded a 2004 PEN Translation Fund Grant from PEN American Center.
- A Helen Adam Reader: Selected Poems, Collages and Music, edited with an introduction by Kristin Prevallet, The National Poetry Foundation, 2007.
- I, Afterlife: Essay in Mourning Time, Essay Press, 2007.
- Shadow Evidence Intelligence, Factory School, 2006.
- Scratch Sides: Poetry, Documentation, and Image-Text Projects, Skanky Possum Press, 2003.
- Perturbation, My Sister: A Study of Max Ernst's Hundred Headless Woman, First Intensity, 1997.
- Emulation Etudes New Haven, CT: Phylum Press, 2002.
- Red, San Francisco, CA: Second Story Books, 2001.
- Inside the Belly of the Iceman, Portland, ME: OASIA Broadside Series #84, 2001.
- Selections from The Parasite Poems, Cambridge, UK: Barque Press, 1999.
- Lead, Glass, and Poppy, Washington, DC: Primitive Publications, 1996.
- 28 for the Road, Buffalo, NY: Meow Press, 1995.
Online Articles and Essays
"Writing is Never By Itself Alone: Six Mini Essays on Relational Investigative Poetics" Fence (Spring/Summer 2003)
"Navigating the New Chaos: Anne Waldman’s Collaborations with Visual Artists" Jacket #27 (April 2005); previously published in mark(s) quarterly of the arts.
"Risking It: Politics, Teaching, Translation" Raintaxi (Summer 2003)
"The artful wordiness of materials: Joe Brainard & Poetry" Jacket #16 (March 2002)
"Interview with Kenward Elmslie" Jacket #16 (March 2002)
"From Godzilla to the NASDAQ Tower: The Collages of Holli Schorno" The Transcendental Friend #14 (January 2001).
"Helen Adam’s Sweet Company: The Collages" Riding the Meridian v2 n2
"The Exquisite Extremes of Poetry: Watten and Baraka on the Brink" Jacket #12 (July 2000)
"Jack Spicer’s Hell in Homage to Creeley" Jacket #7 (April 1999)
"Questions of Engagement: Politics, Sartre, and Action Poetique" Click on DoubleChange Issue #2 (undated).
"Gathering vs. Collecting (Correspondence with Jackson MacLow)" Slought Foundation (undated)
- www.kayvallet.com - The author's website