|Website||Artist's web site|
Education and work
Kristoffer Zetterstrand studied at Royal University College of Fine Arts in Stockholm and the Facultad de Bellas Artes in Madrid. Zetterstrand's works are influenced by both classical and Renaissance artwork, as well as computer graphics and 3D modeling. His debut exhibition in 2002 consisted of compilations for the game Counter-Strike. In 2010, Markus Persson added some of Zetterstrand's paintings in his flagship title, Minecraft, a sandbox and survival simulator based on Infiniminer, and ever since then the paintings have become an iconic part of the game. His paintings are often based on virtual still lifes and scenography sculpted in 3D applications, and he has broadened his sources of images to include vintage photography and imagery.
In 2008 Zetterstrand received the IASPIS artist in residency grant. In 2012 he received the Marianne & Sigvard Bernadotte Art Award. In 2013 he was awarded the Stora Kakelpriset, an annual prize for the most innovative use of tiles or ceramics in construction in Sweden, for his mosaic Ager Medicinae (The Medical Landscape). The work is 340 square metres (3,700 sq ft) in size and was commissioned for the exterior of the parking garage at New Karolinska University Hospital in Solna. It depicts a rough timeline of the development of medicine in pixellated style.
- Zetterstrand, Kristoffer (2012). "Kristoffer Zetterstrand's CV". Kristoffer Zetterstrand. Archived from the original on December 2, 2013. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
Pixelpaintings for the game Minecraft, Mojang AB
- "Kristoffer Zetterstrand: Nya målningar" (in Swedish). Galleri Mårtenson & Persson. June 2012. Archived from the original on 2013-12-26. Retrieved 2014-04-20.
- Olofsson, Anders (August 30, 2012). "Kristoffer Zetterstrand på Peter Bergman" (in Swedish). Konsten.net.
- Svanholm, Sofia (June 14, 2012). "30th anniversary of The Marianne & Sigvard Bernadotte Arts Fund". Sofia Svanholm. Archived from the original on December 3, 2013. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
Kristoffer Zetterstrand (b. 1973 in Sweden) in category art/painting
- NKS Bygg (November 22, 2013). "Konstverk på NKS vinnare av Stora Kakelpriset" (in Swedish). New Karolinska Solna, Stockholm County Council. Archived from the original on December 26, 2013. Retrieved April 20, 2014.
- "Stora kakelpriset 2013" (in Swedish). Byggkeramikrådet. 2013. Retrieved December 25, 2013.
- Nordin, Charlotta (September 5, 2013). "First art work at NKS inaugurated". New Karolinska Solna, Stockholm County Council.
- Jansson, Mathias (March 24, 2010). "Interview: From traditional painting to Game Art: Kristoffer Zetterstrand". Gamescenes.
- Jansson, Mathias (January 19, 2012). "Kristoffer Zetterstrand: King of Old School". Art21 magazine.
- "Pixels and Painting: Artist Talk with Kristoffer Zetterstrand". The Art of Video Games Webcasts. Art Babble, Indianapolis Museum of Art. September 7, 2012. (video, 1:06:50)
- Zetterstrand, Kristoffer; Håkan Nilsson (text) (2009). Virtual Artifacts: Works 2002–2009. Bandhagen: Biondi. ISBN 9789197442251.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kristoffer Zetterstrand.|
|This article about a Swedish artist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|