September 27, 1973|
|Website||Artist's web site|
Education and work
Kristoffer Zetterstrand studied at Royal University College of Fine Arts in Stockholm and the Facultad de Bellas Artes in Madrid. Zetterstrand works in a classical painting tradition, but his works are often influenced by both art history and pixellated old-school computer graphics. His debut exhibition in 2002 consisted of paintings based on the online computer game Counter-Strike. Some of Zetterstrand's paintings can be found in Minecraft, an electronic game created by his former brother-in-law Markus Persson. His paintings are often based on virtual still lifes and scenography sculpted in 3D software, and he has broadened his sources of images to include old photographs.
Zetterstrand is represented by Stene Projects gallery in Stockholm.
In 2008 Zetterstrand received the IASPIS artist in residency grant. In 2012 he received the Marianne & Sigvard Bernadotte Art Award. In 2013 he was awarded the Stora Kakelpriset, an annual prize for the most innovative use of tiles or ceramics in construction in Sweden, for his mosaic Ager Medicinae (The Medical Landscape). The work is 340 square metres (3,700 sq ft) in size and was commissioned for the exterior of the parking garage at New Karolinska University Hospital in Solna. It depicts a rough timeline of the development of medicine in pixellated style.
- Zetterstrand, Kristoffer (2012). "Kristoffer Zetterstrand's CV". Kristoffer Zetterstrand. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
Pixelpaintings for the game Minecraft, Mojang AB
- "Kristoffer Zetterstrand: Nya målningar" (in Swedish). Galleri Mårtenson & Persson. June 2012.
- Olofsson, Anders (August 30, 2012). "Kristoffer Zetterstrand på Peter Bergman" (in Swedish). Konsten.net.
- Svanholm, Sofia (June 14, 2012). "30th anniversary of The Marianne & Sigvard Bernadotte Arts Fund". Sofia Svanholm. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
Kristoffer Zetterstrand (b. 1973 in Sweden) in category art/painting
- NKS Bygg (November 22, 2013). "Konstverk på NKS vinnare av Stora Kakelpriset" (in Swedish). New Karolinska Solna, Stockholm County Council.
- "Stora kakelpriset 2013" (in Swedish). Byggkeramikrådet. 2013. Retrieved December 25, 2013.
- Nordin, Charlotta (September 5, 2013). "First art work at NKS inaugurated". New Karolinska Solna, Stockholm County Council.
- Jansson, Mathias (March 24, 2010). "Interview: From traditional painting to Game Art: Kristoffer Zetterstrand". Gamescenes.
- Jansson, Mathias (January 19, 2012). "Kristoffer Zetterstrand: King of Old School". Art21 magazine.
- "Pixels and Painting: Artist Talk with Kristoffer Zetterstrand". The Art of Video Games Webcasts. Art Babble, Indianapolis Museum of Art. September 7, 2012. (video, 1:06:50)
- Zetterstrand, Kristoffer; Håkan Nilsson (text) (2009). Virtual Artifacts: Works 2002–2009. Bandhagen: Biondi. ISBN 9789197442251.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kristoffer Zetterstrand.|
|This article about a Swedish artist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|