This article is missing information about the film's reception.February 2018)(
|Directed by||Oliver Blackburn|
|Produced by||David Kirschner |
|Written by||Anthony Jaswinski|
Mathew St. Patrick
|Music by||François-Eudes Chanfrault|
|Edited by||Jeff Betancourt|
David Kirschner Productions
|Distributed by||The Weinstein Company|
Kristy is a 2014 American horror film directed by Oliver Blackburn and starring Haley Bennett and Ashley Greene. The plot follows a college student who stays on campus alone over Thanksgiving break and finds herself terrorized by a cult of ritual killers. The film premiered at the London Film Festival and also had theatrical releases internationally. In the United States, the film debuted on the Lifetime Network in October 2015, and was released on Netflix on November 5, 2015.
The film opens with a hooded figure photographing a young woman's corpse in an empty field, followed by a montage of internet screenshots and videos of women being killed in ritual murders by a cybercult, with footage of the murders being uploaded on an anonymous underground website, where members are encouraged to "kill Kristy." "Kristy" comes from a Latin name meaning "follower of God."
College student Justine is attending a private university in the Northeast on financial aid, and is unable to afford to fly home for Thanksgiving. Her boyfriend Aaron and roommate Nicole both leave for the break, leaving Justine to spend the holiday in solitude on a nearly empty campus, aside from the security guard, Wayne, and groundskeeper, Scott.
On Thanksgiving night, Justine uses Nicole's BMW to drive to a nearby convenience store. Inside the store, a hooded girl, Violet, compliments the car and later asks for a student discount on sunglasses at the counter. Justine offers to pay for them, but the girl refuses and calls her "Kristy." That night, Justine finds that someone has accessed her laptop, as a snuff film plays on the screen. Violet appears in the room with a boxcutter, and Justine flees. Outside, Wayne is murdered in front of her by a masked man.
The four cult killers assemble, and Violet begins recording Justine, telling her that they will hunt her and that she should "run to God." Justine flees to Scott's house for help. However, the killers murder his dog and hang him from a swing set in the yard. Justine attempts to call 911 from Scott's cell, but the gang has hacked it. They begin sending her video clips of herself and menacing text messages. Justine attempts to hide but is chased to the roof and cornered. She leaps from the roof but falling through the branches of a tree help break her fall.
Aaron arrives and is also killed. Justine uses Aaron's car to pin one of the cult members against a wall and crush him to death. She then hides in the gym's swimming pool. She stabs another member with her car keys before drowning him, and beats the third one to death with a baseball bat. She reads a text on the dead member's phone; it is from Violet asking if he's "killed Kristy yet." Justine responds "yes" and finds photos of the cult's other victims, with their declaration to kill the "Kristys" of the world: pure, beautiful, and privileged women who they believe follow God.
Justine uses pool chemicals to create a flammable powder. She then dresses herself in the dead man's mask and jacket, and approaches the car where Violet is. Tells her that the others are dead and when Violet comes toward her - she douses her with the flammable powder burning Violet alive. Justine then photographs Violet's corpse with the cellphone and uploads it to the website. A montage at the end reveals that a series of similar cult murders have occurred in other states and cities but with Justine's testimony and access to the phone, many of the cult's members have been arrested. A post-credits scene shows a young woman being attacked by another cult killer outside her home, but the attacker is stopped by another masked individual.
- Haley Bennett as Justine
- Ashley Greene as Violet
- Lucas Till as Aaron
- Erica Ash as Nicole
- James Ransone as Scott
- Matthew St. Patrick as Wayne
- Al Vicente as Dave
- Chris Coy as Blue Hoodie
- Mike Seal as Black Hoodie
- Lucius Falick as Grey Hoodie
In February 2012, it was announced that Gary Fleder would direct the film, from a screenplay by Tony Jaswinski, hoping to get Emma Watson in the lead role, while, David Kirschner will produce through his David Kirschner Productions. In June 2012, it was revealed that Olly Blackburn will now direct the film, Corey Sienga and Matthew Stein joined as producers and executive producers respectively. In October 2012, Haley Bennett joined the cast of the film. At the American Film Market the film was re-titled Satanic. In November 2012, Ashley Greene and Lucas Till joined the cast of the film. In February 2013, it was re-titled to Random.
In February 2013, Entertainment Weekly released the first image of Ashley Greene in the film. The film was first released in Germany on August 7, 2014. It also screened at the London Film Festival on October 14, 2014. In August 2014, it was revealed the film was being re-edited for a U.S theatrical release. It premiered on Lifetime on October 17, 2015. It was released on Netflix on November 5, 2015.
- Miska, Brad (February 7, 2016). "Dimension Plans Thanksgiving Horror 'Kristy' With 'Harry Potter' Starlette". Bloody-Disgusting.com. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Miska, Brad (June 28, 2012). "New Director For Dimension's 'Strangers'-esque Slasher 'Kristy'". Bloody-Disgusting. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Kroll, Justin (October 29, 2012). "Haley Bennett books thriller 'Kristy'". Variety. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Miska, Brad (November 1, 2012). "[AFM '12] Dimension's 'Kristy' Being Sold As 'Satanic'". Bloody-Disgusting.com. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Foreman, Liza (November 8, 2012). "'Twilight' Star Ashley Greene Eyed for TWC's 'Kristy/Satanic' Horror Film (Exclusive)". The Wrap. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- McNary, Dave (November 19, 2012). "Lucas Till is going with 'Kristy'". Variety. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Dicknson, Evan (February 14, 2013). "Ashley Greene Looks Beastly In Movie With 'Random' Title Change". Bloody-Disgusting.com. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Woods, Kevin (February 15, 2013). "FIRST PIC OF SATANIC ASHLEY GREENE FROM RANDOM". Joblo.com. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Moore, Debi (August 7, 2014). "Kristy Slashes Her Way to German Blu-ray and DVD". Dread Central. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- "Kristy". British Film Institute. Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Miska, Brad (August 14, 2014). "[Review] Reader's Thoughts On 'Kristy,' Dimension's Thanksgiving Slasher". Retrieved April 18, 2016.
- Reyes, Traciy (16 October 2015). "'Kristy': Halloween College Campus Slasher Movie Comes To 'Lifetime' Starring Ashley Greene And Haley Bennett". Inquisitr. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- Hanley, Ken W. (11 November 2015). "Stream to Scream: "KRISTY"". Fangoria. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- Miska, Brad (5 November 2015). "'Kristy,' Dimension's Thanksgiving Slasher, is Now On Netflix Instant!". Bloody Disgusting. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- Cult round-up | London Film Festival 2014 round-up | Sight & Sound | BFI