Kronos Advisory, LLC is a U.S.-based company that, according to Dun & Bradstreet, conducts business in the areas of national security and international affairs. According to the firm’s website, Kronos is a strategic advisory firm established in 2011 by Medal of Honor recipient James E. Livingston and Congressional counter-terrorism advisor Michael S. Smith II.” A section of the Congressional Record featuring information about Kronos states the firm was founded to “provide global stakeholders the situational awareness solutions they need to address strategic and tactical threats to their interests.”
Former CIA senior analyst Cynthia Storer, whose work as a member of "The Sisterhood" of CIA analysts who tracked Al-Qaeda is covered in the Emmy Award-winning documentary Manhunt: The Search for Bin Laden, is the company's "Lead al-Qa'ida Analyst." Former Dutch military intelligence officer Ronald Sandee is the company's "Chief Global Jihad Analyst."
According to reports produced by Agence France-Presse, The Jerusalem Post, and Al Arabiya, at the request of a member of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, in 2011 Kronos founder Michael S. Smith II produced a report on Iran’s ties to Al-Qaeda that was distributed to members of the Congressional Anti-Terrorism Caucus. Titled “The al-Qa’ida-Qods Force Nexus: Scratching the Surface of a Known Unknown,” a redacted version of Smith’s report is available online via the blog site owned by American military geostrategist and The Pentagon's New Map author Thomas P.M. Barnett. The report’s Issue Summary section explains: “This report focuses on the history of Iran’s relationship with al-Qa’ida, and briefly addresses potential implications of these ties. Additionally, its author provides a list of recommended action items for Members of the United States Congress, as well as a list of questions that may help Members develop a better understanding of this issue through interactions with defense and intelligence officials.” On September 23, 2011, while issuing remarks on the House Floor about both the president of Iran’s September 2011 visit to New York to address the United Nations and Iran’s support of Islamist terrorism U.S. Congressman Jeff Duncan (R, SC) referenced "The al-Qa’ida-Qods Force Nexus" report. The text of both Congressman Duncan’s remarks and the summary section of Smith’s report are included in a section of the Congressional Record titled “The Al Qaeda-Qods Force Nexus.”
According to a January 4, 2012 report by Fox News Channel correspondent Catherine Herridge, Smith authored a report titled “A View to Extremist Currents in Libya” for policymakers on Capitol Hill. Herridge reported: “‘Despite early indications that the Libyan revolution might be a largely secular undertaking … the very extremist currents that shaped the philosophies of Libya Salafists and jihadis like (Abd al-Hakim) Belhadj appear to be coalescing to define the future of Libya,’ wrote Michael S. Smith II … The report, which includes lengthy translations from LIFG so law and policymakers may directly assess the group's stated intentions, also includes a series of questions for consideration. Among them: whether the transitional government in Libya is showing a willingness to cooperate with U.S. counterterrorism operations and whether the number of al Qaeda affiliated militants has grown in Libya since the death of Qaddafi.”
Concerning a meeting Kronos co-founder Michael S. Smith II and former DIA Director LtGen Michael T. Flynn, USA (Ret) held at the State Department in December 2014 with Special Presidential Envoy for the Global Coalition to Counter ISIL General John R. Allen, USMC (Ret), Eli Lake reported that Smith explained, “We held a meeting with General Allen to discuss the strategy for countering the Islamic State and the ways it could be supported by outside advisers.”
- Kronos Advisory, LLC - About Page, Accessed July 18, 2011
- Dun & Bradstreet Business Information Report Synopsis, Accessed July 18, 2011
- South Carolina Secretary of State – Kronos Advisory, LLC Accessed July 18, 2011
- Kronos Advisory, LLC - About Page, Accessed February 2, 2012
- “The Al Qaeda Qods Force Nexus” (House of Representatives – September 23, 2011). Congressional Record 112th Congress (2011-2012). Library of Congress. September 23, 2011
- Congressional Record — House. United States Government Printing Office. Page H6647. September 23, 2011.
- Information concerning Storer's relationship with Kronos Advisory in “The al Qaeda Files: Bin Laden Documents Reveal a Struggling Organization.” The Intercept. March 14, 2015.
- See also "Ohio Digital Government Summit Speakers." Government Technology. Retrieved March 16, 2015
- See also "Team Kronos." Kronos Advisory. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- Details concerning Emmys: "Manhunt: The Inside Story of the Hunt for Bin Laden." Emmys. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- Information about Sandee's relationship with Kronos in“GOP leaders voice ‘grave misgivings’ to Obama over key terror trial in civilian court.” Fox News Channel. March 26, 2013
- Also see "Team Kronos." Kronos Advisory. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- Information about Sandee's work with Dutch intelligence in: “Flow of terrorist recruits increasing.” The Washington Post. October 19, 2009
- Report highlights alleged Iran forces al-Qaeda links. AFP. May 4, 2011
- US congressional report: Iran offering support to al-Qaida. The Jerusalem Post. May 5, 2011
- Report from Congressional panel says Iran’s Revolutionary Guard helps Al-Qaeda. Al Arabiya. May 5, 2011
- "The al-Qa’ida-Qods Force Nexus" (PDF). thomaspmbarnett.squarespace.com.
- Clip of U.S. Congressman Jeff Duncan’s remarks on the House Floor. C-SPAN. September 23, 2011
- The Islamist Winter: New Report Suggests Extremist Views Winning in Libya. Fox News Channel. January 4, 2012.
- Eli Lake. “U.S. Relies on Iraqis to Interrogate Jihadis.” Bloomberg View. February 13, 2015.