|This article does not cite any sources. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Directed by||Trina N. Dayrit
Rory B. Quintos
|Starring||Judy Ann Santos
|Opening theme||Krystala by Aegis|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||138|
|Running time||30-40 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Star Creatives Group, Inc.|
|Original release||October 11, 2004– April 22, 2005|
Krystala is a daily fantasy/sci-fi/adventure/soap opera serial (superserye/fantaserye) from the Philippines, where it was produced by and aired on ABS-CBN from October 11, 2004 to April 22, 2005. The show also aired simultaneously on The Filipino Channel and on a one-week delay on International Channel (now AZN-TV) in the United States.
The series followed a young woman named Tala, who accidentally unearths a crystal that contained the spirit of the legendary diwata sorceress, Luwalhati, who was imprisoned a hundred years earlier by a devilish being, Harimon. As a promise to Luwalhati, Tala agrees to help her rid the world of evil spirits that, once in the possession or contact of human beings, can bring or unleash corruption and mayhem onto the world.
Knowing that kind of fury would lead to Manila, where most of them would blend into the city's large population, Tala decides to leave her Madulom tribe to move into the area, where she would blend into the mix as a normal working girl, working at a shopping mall.
She would learn, however, that most of the spirits also have ties to Harimon, who was also set free by a young girl named Zorah. (Tala would later learn that she was her mother, who had abandoned her as a child after she became possessed by Harimon.) Upon learning that Harimon and his band of co-horts (The fierce Super Z, female vampire Kabagona, flamboyant drag queen Terracota and shapeshifter Luminax) have resurfaced to unleash and finish the sinister plans to unveil a more evil being bent on taking over the human world, Tala uses her crystal to transform herself into the gold-and-blue clad super-sexy superheroine Krystala and uses her powers to protect those who are helpless... and to protect the people who are her close friends.
Faith, the daughter of Zorina and Martin de Gracia. When she was little, her family lived in the province far away from the city. One day, the little girl and her parents were being chased. Her mother told her to run far away from home before an evil man named Bacchus, kills the whole family (Bacchus and his men succeeded in killing the child's father and had kidnapped the child's mother).
A couple from the legendary Madulom tribe, Aleta and Joram, found the crying child near the grave of their newly buried daughter. Aleta was thinking that she should adopt Faith even though her husband and the tribes people think that adopting an outsider is unlucky. But since Aleta felt sorry for the child, she chose to adopt and name her as Tala, raising her with the guidance of Ima, the village fairy.
Years later, Tala was walking in the forest until she stumbled upon a secret cave. As she went in, she spotted a crystal that was just standing on a huge rock in the middle of the cave. Then a voice of a fairy name Luwalhati came out from the crystal. The fairy that was trapped in the crystal told her that she was the chosen one, the one anointed by the Mountain’s Diwatas (fairies) to save the world by ridding it of evil engkantos (supernatural beings). Tala then picked up the crystal and Luwalhati was released from the crystal. Also, the crystal had given Tala amazing powers and by saying "Sa kapangyarihan ng kristal, ako ang iyong sugo, Krystala!", she was able to turn into the super heroine known as Krystala.
The show gained a 36% rating on its opening night, cementing Krystala as a successful hit among Philippine televiewers especially in the Mega Manila ratings where ABS-CBN started to lose its hold of the area. This caused many viewers from the channel's rival network, GMA Network, jump to ABS-CBN. It was known that GMA Network would lead in Mega Manila but ABS-CBN still led in the nationwide ratings.
Its highest rating was its 3rd episode, 43.1% and an average of 33.1% (Mega Manila ratings).
Super Kontrabidas (The Villains)
- Emilio Garcia - as Harimon- King of All Demons, creator of the red stones (mga pulang bato) which gives powers to whoever possesses one.
- Alma Concepcion - as Kabagona- A woman who has the features and abilities of a bat.
- Neri Naig - as Butiki Girl- One of the main villain in the series, act as the Lizard Girl that can heal her wounds and damages easily and get her tail back just like a lizard which she got from her great grand parents.
- Michael Flores - as Terracotta a.k.a. Badinger Z- A homosexual villain who has the ability to multiply, to scream really loud, to shoot lasers with his magical red stone (in a form of a ring).
- Angelica Jones - as a Flowerette- One of the two villains created in the computer world by Terracotta. Skilled martial artist, their dual attacks proved too much for even Krystala, actually beating her into submission
- KitKat - as a Flowerette- One of the two villains created in the computer world by Terracotta. Skilled martial artist, their dual attacks proved too much for even Krystala, actually beating her into submission.
- Jeffrey Santos - as Likido- A man who has the ability to transform into any form of liquid, and can turn things into liquid. Has repeatedly evaded Krystala because of this ability, even discovering her secret identity.
- Gabe Mercado - as Gravigat- A man who can manipulate gravity. Despite seemingly incompetent at first glance (which may have led Krystala into thinking that she could easily beat him), his powers afford him a tremendous advantage over many foes. In fact, he humiliated Krystala on their first encounter where, after Krystala made her presence known to Gravigat while still hovering in mid-air, he lessened the gravity centered on the heroine's location where she was still hovering, this caused her to lose control over her flight powers, preventing her from landing, trapping her in the air. Gravigat is notably the first villain to be able to use Krystala's powers against her, leaving her defenseless as he made his getaway. The gravity around Krystala only returned to normal after Gravigat left the vicinity. Unfortunately, by this time she had also canceled her own levitation as she attempted to fight the opposing force of anti-gravity that was keeping her stuck unsupported in the air a while back, she fell face-first to the floor
- Desiree del Valle - as Luminax- A woman who has the ability to turn into light, manipulate light, and attack with light (ex; light blast, lasers that shoot out of her eyes).
- Chin Chin Gutierrez - as Super Z- A woman with the ability to absorb the powers of other supernatural beings. She can use the powers that she absorbed.
- Sid Lucero - as Guruto- The main villain in the TV series.
- Angel Jacob (Filipino TV actress) - as Luwalhati
- Pokwang - as Fantasya
- Hero Angeles - as Loverboy/Mysterio
- Sandara Park - as Kim
- Aaron Junatas (Filipino child actor) - as Mokong/Mighty M
- Roence Santos - as Patotina
- Kristoffer Horace Neudeck - Brutus/Morphino
Krystala's powers/abilities and items/weapons
- Krystal Blast - Energy blasts that shoot out of her hands
- Superhuman strength
- Krystal shield
- Ability to create earthquakes
- Teleport to other worlds
- Skilled in martial arts
- The Crystal (Krystal) - the crystal Tala uses to transform into Krystala and back again.
- Krystal shield
- Bow and arrow
- Cape - Krystala's cape is near-indestructible, and could contain a mighty explosion if draped over a bomb
This is the original soundtrack of 'Krystala'. In the TV series, the theme song, 'Super Krystala', was sung by Aegis, but the Krystala soundtrack featured Sheryn Regis singing the theme song instead.
- Super Krystala - Sheryn Regis
- Yakap Mo - Dianne Dela Fuente
- Ba't Di Mo Pagbigyan (Duet) - King And Maoui David
- Sana - Mike Empeno
- Shoobee Doo Wop - Sheryn Regis
- Kapangyarihan - Gloc 9
- Sa Pangarap Na Lang - Marinel Santos
- Ikaw Lang Pala - Josh Santana
- If I Believed - Carol Banawa
- Laban Krystala - Gloc 9 w/ JM
- laban sa kahirapan- von aga
- Sanlakas Kids (Upcoming series that will feature Krystala in a cameo appearance)
- List of Filipino superheroes
- List of Filipino supervillains
- List of telenovelas of ABS-CBN
- List of shows previously aired by ABS-CBN