|Birth name||Jakub Władysław Wojewódzki|
2 August 1963 |
|Medium||television, radio, press|
|Genres||Social satire, talk show|
Jakub Władysław Wojewódzki known as Kuba Wojewódzki (Polish pronunciation: [ˈkuba vɔjɛˈvut͡skʲi]; born 2 August 1963 in Koszalin, Poland) is a Polish journalist, TV personality, drummer, and comedian.
Kuba Wojewódzki earned the nickname Kuba as a reference to Cuba, a country that had become part of the socialist bloc at the time of his youth. Wojewódzki was a judge on the Polish Idol. He also was the Polish representative on the World Idol on 25 December 2003.
In the 1980s, he was a member of punk bands called System and New Dada. Currently, he is a drummer in the band called Klatu.
Since 2006, he has been working for TVN.
He was criticized for being extremely harsh on X Factor contestants and for making racist comments. While translating for Nigerian-born auditionee John James Egwu who spoke limited Polish, he claimed that contestant had answered "I married a white woman and then ate her" went asked what he was doing in Poland, and mistranslated "I studied here" as "She was a bit gristly." Wojewódzki then encouraged the audience to laugh at the contestant.
In his talk show, he explores numerous controversial issues. On one of his shows (aired on 25 March 2008), a cartoonist Marek Raczkowski inserted the Polish flag into dog faeces, referencing a scandal he created after his semi-serious statement about animal waste on public pavements. The incident was widely discussed by the media. On his morning radio show for radio Eska Rock, in June 2011, he said that perhaps there should be "a national register of negroes" and stated that that day's show was sponsored by the Warsaw branch of the Ku Klux Klan. His comments were condemned by members of ethnic minorities in Poland. The radio station was fined 50,000 zloty and Wojewódzki's comments were described in the report of the radio authorities (Krajowa Rada Radiofonii i Telewizji) as being "unambiguously racist" ("jednoznacznie rasistowskie").
In October, 2013, Wojewódzki was injured by an unknown assailant who burned his face and neck with acid. As revealed later by police, the fluid was not acid, it was a non-corrosive substance.
|2007||Taniec z gwiazdami
(Polish version Dancing with the stars)
|'Best Of' episode||TVN|
- Ed Wight's Column
- U Wojewódzkiego: polska flaga w psiej kupie. Jest protest! (On the Wojewódzki show, the Polish flag lands in dog poop. Outrage ensues!) (pl)
- Eska Rock ukarana za żarty z "Murzyna", TVN24, the phrase used was "krajowy rejestr Murzynów"
- Wojciech Karpieszuk, Kuba Wojewódzki straci pracę? Za chamstwo i rasizm Gazeta.pl 2011
- Wojewódzki "jednoznacznie rasistowski". Będzie kara, Gazeta.pl
- "Známého polského kritika církve polili kyselinou" (in Czech). novinky.cz. 23 October 2013. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- UJAWNIAMY: Kuba Wojewódzki oblany zupełnie niegroźną substancją
- Piotr Halicki, Są wyniki badań cieczy, którą oblano Wojewódzkiego 25 paź 2013
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Kuba Wojewódzki|