Kubicek M-2 Scout
|Role||Ultralight aircraft and Light-sport aircraft|
|National origin||Czech Republic|
|First flight||May 2009|
|Status||In production (2012)|
|Developed from||Mráz Skaut|
The Kubicek M-2 Scout is a Czech ultralight and light-sport aircraft, designed and produced by Kubicek Aircraft. It was first flown in May 2009. The aircraft is supplied as a complete ready-to-fly-aircraft.
Design and development
The aircraft was intended as an update to the 1948 Mráz M-2 Skaut (English: Scout) design. The original M-2 was made from wood and so the two aircraft resemble each other only superficially. The new M-2 was designed to comply with the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale microlight rules and US light-sport aircraft rules. It features a cantilever low-wing, a two-seats-in-side-by-side configuration enclosed cockpit under a bubble canopy, fixed tricycle landing gear and a single engine in tractor configuration. Teh cockpit is 120 cm (47 in) wide.
The aircraft is made from riveted and bonded aluminum sheet and is completely corrosion-treated after assembly. Its 9.6 m (31.5 ft) span wing has an area of 12.4 m2 (133 sq ft) and flaps. The standard engine available is the 100 hp (75 kW) Rotax 912ULS four-stroke powerplant.
- M-2 Scout LSA
- Model for the US light-sport category with a gross weight of 600 kg (1,323 lb)
- M-2 Scout UL
- Model for the European ultralight category with a gross weight of 472.5 kg (1,042 lb)
Specifications (M-2 Scout LSA)
- Crew: one
- Capacity: one passenger
- Length: 6.87 m (22 ft 6 in)
- Wingspan: 9.6 m (31 ft 6 in)
- Height: 2.35 m (7 ft 9 in)
- Wing area: 12.4 m2 (133 sq ft)
- Empty weight: 320 kg (705 lb)
- Gross weight: 600 kg (1,323 lb)
- Fuel capacity: 90 litres (20 imp gal; 24 US gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 912ULS four cylinder, liquid and air-cooled, four stroke aircraft engine, 75 kW (101 hp)
- Maximum speed: 220 km/h (137 mph; 119 kn)
- Cruise speed: 180 km/h (112 mph; 97 kn)
- Stall speed: 72 km/h (45 mph; 39 kn) in the landing configuration
- Never exceed speed: 260 km/h (162 mph; 140 kn)
- Endurance: 6 hours
- g limits: +4/-2
- Rate of climb: 5 m/s (980 ft/min)
- Wing loading: 48.4 kg/m2 (9.9 lb/sq ft)
- Bayerl, Robby; Martin Berkemeier; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2011-12, page 62. WDLA UK, Lancaster UK, 2011. ISSN 1368-485X
- Tacke, Willi; Marino Boric; et al: World Directory of Light Aviation 2015-16, page 65. Flying Pages Europe SARL, 2015. ISSN 1368-485X
- Kubicek Aircraft. "Kubicek Aircraft Home". Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- Kubicek Aircraft. "Specifications". Retrieved 24 July 2012.