Kue putri salju
|Type||Kue kering (traditional cookie)|
|Place of origin||Indonesia|
|Region or state||Southeast Asia|
|Associated national cuisine||Indonesia|
|Serving temperature||Room temperature|
|Main ingredients||Flour, butter, egg yolks, powdered sugar|
|62 (per 12.0 gr) kcal|
Putri salju (Indonesian: kue putri salju) is an Indonesian kue kering (dried kue or cookie) shaped like crescents and covered with powdered sugar. Putri salju is Indonesian for "snow princess", referring to the powdered sugar coating that resembles snow.
Putri salju is a typical delicacy for festive occasions and major holidays, such as Lebaran (Eid ul-Fitr), Natal (Christmas) and Imlek (Chinese New Year). Putri salju cookies are usually sold in air-tight plastic or glass jars in traditional markets, bakeries, pastry shops and supermarkets.
The cookies' dough is made from a fine mixture of flour, cornstarch, butter or margarine and egg yolks which is baked in the oven. After the cookies are ready, they are left to cool slowly to room temperature. Once cool, powdered sugar is either sprinkled upon the cookies, or both powdered sugar and cookies are placed in a plastic bag and shaken to distribute the sugar evenly on the cookies' surfaces. Prepared cookies must be stored in air-tight containers to prevent the sugar absorbing water from the air via hygroscopy. The sweet cookie is much-loved by the Indonesian people, especially children.
Today, while most are prepared in the typical fashion with sugar, several variants of kue putri salju are available including cheese and chocolate. A version including pandan prepared with green food colouring is also popular.
- "Kue Putri Salju". Calorie Count. Archived from the original on 2016-09-15. Retrieved 2016-09-05.
- "Kue Putri Salju". Waroeng.nl.
- "Chinese New Year Kue Putri Salju (Snow White Cookie)". What to Cook Today. 2016-02-04.
- Rasyid Panji (December 2013). "Resep Kue Putri Salju Paling Mudah". huruharada.blogspot.com. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- "5 Macam Kue Putri Salju untuk Lebaran 2016, Begini Cara Membuatnya". Tribun News (in Indonesian). 25 June 2016.