Comune di Caines
|Province||South Tyrol (BZ)|
|• Mayor||Manfred Raffl|
|• Total||1.7 km2 (0.7 sq mi)|
|Population (Nov. 2010)|
|• Density||230/km2 (610/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
As of 30 November 2010, it had a population of 399 and an area of 1.7 square kilometres (0.66 sq mi).
In the early eighth century, Kuens became the site of a small monastery founded by Saint Corbinian, who had been struck by the area's beauty on the second of his journeys to Rome. He bought some properties and planted vineyards and orchards and considered the area a "spiritual homeland", so much so that he chose it as the site for his burial.
The emblem represents a bishop (that is, Saint Corbinian) with a gules mantle, the mitre of Or and aureola; a pastoral staff of Or in his right hand. A brown bear, with a load tied up to her back, through the bishop. The emblem was adopted in 1968.
|Source: Data from ISTAT|
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
- Mitterer, Sigisbert (1928). "Die Bedeutung des hl. Bonifatius für das bayerische Klosterwesen". Studien und Mitteilungen zur Geschichte des Benediktiner-Ordens und seiner Zweige 46: 333–60.
- Heraldry of the World: Kuens
- "Volkszählung 2011/Censimento della popolazione 2011". astat info (Provincial Statistics Institute of the Autonomous Province of South Tyrol) (38): 6–7. June 2012. Retrieved 2012-06-14.
- (German) (Italian) Homepage of the municipality
Media related to Kuens at Wikimedia Commons