Kuhmo Chamber Music Festival
Kuhmo Chamber Music Festival (Finnish: Kuhmon Kamarimusiikki) is an international chamber music festival held every July for two weeks in Kuhmo, Finland. It is the largest chamber music festival in Finland in terms of sold tickets. The festival attracts 6000-8000 visitors annually, with 95% of them being from Finland. The number of concerts held within the two weeks is around 70. Approximately 170 artists from Finland and abroad perform at the festival. The Kuhmo Chamber Music Festival also offers music courses, master classes and chamber music workshops that are taught by the festival artists.
The Kuhmo Chamber Music Festival was founded by a Finnish cellist Seppo Kimanen in 1970. He and a handful of fellow students were looking for a place to arrange music courses and play chamber music. The total number of the audience in the 1970 festival was 800. In 2013, there were 72 concerts and over 36 000 tickets sold. Vladimir Mendelssohn has been the Artistic Director of the festival since 2005.
The main venue is the Kuhmo Arts Centre. It was opened in 1993, and it is renowned for both its acoustics and design. There are two halls; Lentua, which seats 668, and Pajakka, with 99 seats. Other venues include the Kontio School and Kuhmo Church.
- Kinnunen, Hanne (14 July 2013). "Kuhmon Kamarimusiikki auttaa ensikertalaisia valitsemaan sopivan ohjelman" ("Kuhmo Chamber Music Festival to help first-timers choose an appropriate program). Yle. Retrieved 7 December 2013 (in Finnish).
- Kuhmo Chamber Music Festival. "The Past of the Kuhmo Music Courses. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- Brindle, Meg and Devereaux, Constance (eds.) (2011). The Arts Management Handbook: New Directions for Students and Practitioners. pp. 97-110. M.E. Sharpe. ISBN 0765629577
- Kuhmo Chamber Music Festival. History. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- Kaleva (26 July 2013). "Kuhmon kamarimusiikissa yli 36 000 kävijää" ("Kuhmo Chamber Music Festival for more than 36,000 visitors"). Retrieved 7 December 2013 (in Finnish)
- Finnish Music Quarterly (2004), p. 6
- Discovering Finland Guide. Kuhmo Arts Centre. Retrieved 7 December 2013.
- Hillila, Ruth-Esther and Hong, Barbara Blanchard (1997). "Kuhmo Festival". Historical Dictionary of the Music and Musicians of Finland, pp. 195–196. Greenwood Publishing Group. ISBN 0313277281
- "Listen, there's music from the forest: a short presentation of the Kuhmo Chamber Music Festival", in English and French, by Jean-Jacques Subrenat, ISBN 978-952-92-0564-6.