Location of Kujalleq within Greenland
|Coordinates (Kujalleq Commune): Coordinates:|
|State||Kingdom of Denmark|
|Established||1 January 2009|
|• Mayor||Kiista P. Isaksen (Siumut)|
|• Total||32,000 km2 (12,355 sq mi)|
|• Density||0.223/km2 (0.58/sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||GL-KU|
Kujalleq (Greenlandic: [kujaɬeq̚] The South) is a new municipality in the southern tip of Greenland, operational from 1 January 2009. The administrative center of the municipality is in Qaqortoq (formerly called Julianehåb). The municipality consists of the former municipalities of southern Greenland, each named after the biggest settlement:
In addition to the area of the former municipalities, the southernmost tip of Greenland was added to the new administrative entity. The land area stretches from the Kangerlussuatsiaq fjord (in Danish Lindenowfjorden) to the southeastern Atlantic coast and Cape Farewell. The area previously belonged to Ammassalik Municipality and is uninhabited.
Coat of arms
The coat of arms of the municipality depicts a ram's head, symbolising the sheep farming in the area, which has become one of the most important parts of Kujalleq's economy. The uppermost part of the shield contains the sun of the Greenlandic flag. Likewise the choice of colours matches those of the country's flag. The coat of arms was adopted in August 2008.
At 32,000 km2 (12,355.3 sq mi) Kujalleq is the smallest municipality in Greenland by area. Straddling the southernmost end of the island of Greenland, it is bordered by only one municipality, Sermersooq, in the north. The waters of the western coast are that of Labrador Sea, which meet the open North Atlantic at Uummannarsuaq, the southern cape. The border on the western coast runs alongside Alanngorsuaq Fjord and on the eastern coast up to Anorituup Kangerlua (Anoritoq) Fjord.
The entire municipal area is highly mountainous, with numerous fjords carving deeply into the land. All settlements are located on the Western coast, or in fjords ending there.
Towns and settlements
- Nanortalik area
- Narsaq area
- Qaqortoq area
The only airport is Narsarsuaq Airport. Helicopters and boats go to other settlements.
Twin towns — sister cities
Kujalleq is twinned with:
- KANUKOKA, the Greenlandic municipal association
- Eastern Settlement, the former Norse settlement in the area
- Lichtenfels & Lichtenau, former Moravian missions in the area
- Narsaq massacre
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kujalleq.|
- "Kommune Kujalleq". Kujalleq Municipality. Archived from the original on 7 January 2013. Retrieved 11 July 2010.
- Statistics Greenland, Greenland in Figures 2010
- Greenland in Figures 2013 (PDF). Statistics Greenland. ISBN 978-87-986787-7-9. ISSN 1602-5709. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- "Kujalleq - Civic heraldry of Greenland". HeraldryWeb. Retrieved May 9, 2011.
- "Venskabsbyer: Aarhus Kommune". Aarhus.dk. Retrieved 2013-03-25.