|Purpose||Martial art and sport|
|Choi Young Ryul|
|Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism|
Kukkiwon (Korean: 국기원; Hanja: 國技院), also known as World Taekwondo Headquarters, and home of the World Taekwondo Academy, is where the official taekwondo governing organisation was established by the South Korean government. It is supervised by the International Sports Division of the Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism.
Kukkiwon is based at 635 Yeoksam-dong in the Gangnam-gu district of Seoul, South Korea. Construction of the main building commenced on 19 November 1971, and was completed on 30 November 1972, with the organization being officially named on 6 February 1973. The main building accommodates up to 3,000 people for events. Standing at three stories in height, the building's roof features kiwa (blue Korean tiles)—the same type of roofing as the Blue House (the official residence of the President of South Korea).
In May 1973, the Korea Taekwondo Association and Kukkiwon hosted the first World Taekwondo Championships, with 200 taekwondo competitors from 17 countries in attendance. Kukkiwon has had a permanent taekwondo demonstration team since September 1974.
Un Yong Kim was the first President of Kukkiwon, and resigned from the position on 15 November 2001. Woon Kyu Uhm of the Chung Do Kwan was elected President on 2 March 2004. The President in late 2005 was Yong Gye Um. On 10 December 2009, Seung Wan Lee of the Jidokwan was elected as Kukkiwon's next President.
In mid-2010, Won Sik Kang became the president; he was also the current president of Song Moo Kwan, Korea. President Kang stepped down at the end of his term of office in early 2013. After him the interim president while awaiting an election was Grandmaster Kyu Sok Lee, who also serves as Secretary General for the Asian Taekwondo Union. Kim Chung Gun later acted as the Chair-in-Office. The next president was Grandmaster Lee Kyu Hyung (9th dan) after being provisionally named by the Director of the organization’s board as of August 20, 2013; he resigned after a short period, claiming he was unable to perform the role to the best of his abilities due to political issues.
The current president is Grandmaster Choi Young Ryul, who was elected October 11th, 2019.
- Min, B.-H. (2005): Kukkiwon, the spiritual home of Taekwondoists (11 July 2005). Published on the website of the Embassy of the Republic of Korea in the USA. Retrieved on 10 January 2010.
- Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism of the Republic of Korea: Bureau of Office Archived 2011-07-23 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved on 9 January 2010.
- Life in Korea: Kukkiwon Retrieved on 8 January 2010.
- GangNam-Gu Internet Broadcasting Station: Cultural facilities Archived 2010-09-05 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved on 8 January 2010.
- Seoul Global Center: Kukkiwon[permanent dead link] Retrieved on 8 January 2010.
- Kukkiwon, World Taekwondo Headquarters: Kukkiwon history Retrieved on 25 May 2007.
- Gillis, A. (2009): From spooky Kukki to WTF Archived 2011-07-15 at the Wayback Machine Totally Tae Kwon Do, 1:31–32. Retrieved on 10 January 2010.
- Korea Taekwondo Association: History Archived 2013-01-13 at Archive.today Retrieved on 20 January 2010.
- Park, Y. H., & Seabourne, T. (1997): Taekwondo techniques & tactics: Skills for sparring and self-defense (p. 13). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics (ISBN 0-88011-644-7).
- Parandeul Tours: Kukkiwon (World Taekwondo Headquarter) Retrieved on 11 January 2010.
- Yushen Lai's Taekwondo Academy: History of Taekwondo Archived 2010-06-14 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved on 11 January 2010.
- Ko Mu Do Kwan: Taekwondo Archived 2010-05-05 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved on 11 January 2010.
- Toi-Gye Taekwon-Do: Olympic Tae Kwon Do[permanent dead link] Retrieved on 12 January 2010.
- Tae Kwon Do New Zealand (2005): Taekwondo New Zealand goodwill visit to WTF Headquarters and Kukkiwon Headquarters Fight Times. Retrieved on 11 January 2010.
- Kim, J., & Jung, D. G. (2009): Seung Wan Lee elected as Kukkiwon Chairman Archived 2010-01-20 at the Wayback Machine MOOKAS (11 December 2009). Retrieved on 30 January 2010.
- Kukkiwon (2009): Announcement for selection of "Kukkiwon Overseas Branches" (31 December 2009). Retrieved on 13 January 2010.
- New Kukkiwon President: Won Sik Kang Tae Kwon Do Times (4 June 2010). Retrieved on 13 November 2010.
- Lee Kyu Hyung, new President of Kukkiwon World Taekwondo Media (20 August 2013). Retrieved on 22 August 2013.