Kumage District, Kagoshima
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The district has an estimated population of 29,706 with a total area of 789.16 km², according to 2005 Census.
Contains 3 towns:
- April 1, 1889 - Due to the town and village status enforcement, the villages of Kitatane, Nakatane, and Minamitane were formed within Kumage District. (3 towns)
- March 29, 1896 - Absorbed Gomu District. (5 villages)
- April 1, 1926 - The village of Kitatane gained town status and renamed to become the town of Nishiomote. (1 town, 4 villages)
- November 10, 1940 - The village of Nakatane gained town status. (2 towns, 3 villages)
- October 15, 1956 - The village of Minamitane gained town status. (3 towns, 2 villages)
- April 1, 1958 - The village of Kamiyaku gained town status. (4 towns, 1 village)
- October 1, 1958 - The town of Nishiomote gained city status. (3 towns, 1 village)
- April 1, 1959 - The village of Shimoyaku gained town status and renamed to become the town of Yaku. (4 towns)
- October 1, 2007 - The towns of Kamiyaku and Yaku merged to form the town of Yakushima.(3 towns)
- Yakushima Airport is located on Yakushima in Yakushima.
- New Tanegashima Airport is located on Tanegashima in Nakatane.