Kumar Mangalam Birla
Kumar Mangalam Birla
Lalu Prasad presenting the JRD Tata Corporate Leadership Award to Shri Kumar Mangalam Birla
|Alma mater||University of Mumbai (BCom)|
Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (CA)
London Business School (MBA)
|Net worth||US$9.9 billion (November 2019)|
|Title||Chairman, Aditya Birla Group and Vodafone Idea Limited|
|Spouse(s)||Neerja Birla (m. 1989)|
|Children||3, including Ananya Birla and Aryaman Birla|
|Parent(s)||Aditya Vikram Birla|
Kumar Mangalam Birla (born 14 June 1967) is an Indian billionaire industrialist, and the chairman of the Aditya Birla Group, one of the largest conglomerates in India. He is also the chancellor of the Birla Institute of Technology & Science, and the chairman of the Indian Institute of Technology Delhi and Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad.
Early life and education
Birla is a fourth-generation member of the Marwari Birla family from the state of Rajasthan. He was born in Kolkata and raised in Mumbai. He did his high school from Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics and a bachelor's degree from H.R. College of Commerce and Economics of the University of Mumbai, and a MBA degree from London Business School, where he is an honorary fellow. He is also a Chartered Accountant from Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI).
Birla took over as chairman of the Aditya Birla Group in 1995, at the age of 28, following the death of his father Aditya Vikram Birla. During his tenure as chairman, the group's annual turnover has increased from US$3.33 Billion in 1995 to US$48.3 billion in 2019.
Birla has received several awards, including the International Advertising Association’s "CEO of the Year Award" in 2016; the US India Business Council's "Global Leadership Award" in 2014; Economic Times “Business Leader Award” in 2003 and 2013; Forbes India Leadership Award – Flagship Award “Entrepreneur of the Year 2012; NDTV Profit Business Leadership Awards 2012, “Most Inspiring Leader”; CNBCTV18 IBLA “Business Leader for Taking India Abroad 2012”; CNN-IBN “Indian of the Year Award 2010”; JRD Tata “Leadership Award 2008”; NDTV’s “Global Indian Leader of the Year 2007”.
An educationist, Birla is the Chancellor of Birla Institute of Technology & Science (BITS). He is chairman of IIT Delhi, IIM Ahmedabad and chairman of Rhodes India Scholarship Committee for Oxford University. He serves on London Business School's Asia Pacific Advisory Board and is an honorary fellow of the London Business School.
- "Forbes profile: Kumar Birla". Forbes.com. Retrieved 22 November 2019.
- "Mr. Kumar Mangalam Birla - Chairman of the Aditya Birla Group". Archived from the original on 10 November 2012. Retrieved 27 December 2016.
- "Indian Institute of Technology Delhi |". Iitd.ac.in. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- "Kumar Mangalam Birla appointed as new chairman of IIM-A". The Indian Express. 23 October 2016.
- "The story of the first couple of the Birla empire". Rediff.com. Retrieved 6 February 2019.
- Rai, Saritha (19 October 2015). "In India, A 158-Year-Old Business Conglomerate, Aditya Birla Group, Forays Into Fashion E-Commerce". Forbes.com. Retrieved 27 December 2016.
- "London Business School Honours Mr Kumar Mangalam Birla". Businesswireindia.com. Retrieved 6 February 2019.