Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary
|Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary
കുമരകം പക്ഷി സങ്കേതം
|Elevation||0 m (0 ft)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-KL|
|Avg. summer temperature||34 °C (93 °F)|
|Avg. winter temperature||22 °C (72 °F)|
Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary (also known as Vembanad Bird Sanctuary) is situated at Kumarakom in Kottayam district in the Indian state of Kerala, on the banks of Vembanad Lake. Set in the Kerala Backwaters the bird sanctuary is a favourite haunt of migratory birds.
Developed in a rubber plantation as a bird sanctuary by an Englishman, the sanctuary was formerly known as Baker’s Estate. Currently, the bird sanctuary is managed by Kerala Tourism Development Corporation.
The sanctuary is spread over 14 acres (5.7 ha) on the southern bank of the Kavanar River. There is a system of paths for moving around within the sanctuary. Beyond the sanctuary, one can take a boat ride in Vembanad Lake or along the Kavanar River.
Kumarakom is 14 kilometres (8.7 mi) from Kottayam. State Highway No. 1 leads to Kochi and Thiruvananthapuram in opposite directions. Kochi International Airport at Nedumbassery is 106 km (66 mi) from Kumarakom.
Neighbouring areas such as Kaipuzha Muttu, Pathirmanal, Narakathara, Thollairam Kayal, and Poothanpandi Kayal are also good locations for spotting birds.
Kerala has a tropical climate.
The main attractions are local birds like waterfowl, cuckoo, owl, egret, heron, cormorant, moorhen, darter, and brahminy kite, as well as the migratory Siberian crane. Parrot, teal, lark, flycatcher, and other birds are seen here during their respective migratory seasons. Some of the migratory birds come from the Himalayas, and a few from Siberia.
The WWF-India organised a two-day bird watching programme in 2008 at Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary in connection with World Wetlands Day. Kerala Tourism Development Corporation, which owns the largest chain of hotels in Kerala, including a resort in the middle of the bird sanctuary at Kumarakom, has opened an interpretation centre in the bird sanctuary for the visitors.
- Radhakrishnan, S. Anil. "KTDC to construct hotel in Chennai". The Hindu, 16 November 2006. Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- Ayub, Akber (ed), Kerala: Maps & More, Kumarakom, 2006 edition 2007 reprint, p. 53, Stark World Publishing, Bangalore, ISBN 81-902505-2-3
- Ayub, Akber. "Seductive symphony". The Hindu, 7 January 2007. Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- "Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary". shubhyatra.com. Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- "Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary". www.kumarakom.com. Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- "Two camps for bird watchers". The Hindu, 13 January 2008. Retrieved 2008-02-13.
- "Kumarakom bird sanctuary". Retrieved 2015-08-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary.|