|Region in Tiruvalla|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Pathanamthitta|
Kumbanad is derived from two words in Sanskrit malayalam, Kumbhi ( Sanskrit word for 'elephant') and Nadu ('land') which together mean "the land of elephants". It is believed that many wild animals and elephants roamed about this place a hundred years ago.
Remittance from NRIs is the primary source of income. The large number of ATMs and high bank density are also attributed to large bank deposits. As of 2009, the bank deposits for the Kumbanad-Pullad-Thiruvalla belt are estimated to be 5,400 Crore.
There are other small business and services that depend on the foreign remittance. Since most of the emigrants are young and middle aged, most of the settled population is old-aged. There are services and health care units that cater to their needs. 90% of the emigrants are from America,& Middle East. The major hospital is the Fellowship Mission Hospital.
Kumbanad is part of Pathanamthitta District. In Lok sabha, Kumbanad is represented by the sitting MP from Pathanamthitta, Mr. Anto Antony (Indian National Congress). Aranmula assembly segment and Veena George is the current MLA (2016 Kerala Legislative Assembly elections). Moncy Kizhakedethu of Kizhakedethu Family (United Democratic Front) is the current Koipuram panchayat president. Mr.Subin Neerumplackal a reputed Journalist from Kumbanad is the Private Secretary to Anto Antony MP
- Sub Treasury
- Kumbanad 33 KV Substation
- Telecom Center and Telephone Exchange
- Kumbanad Head Post Office
- Electricity Section Office
Kumbanad, Tiruvalla has a tropical climate. The region receives most of the rain from the South-West monsoon from June to August and the North-East monsoon during October and November. Although the summer is from March to May, it receives locally developed thundershowers in April and May.
Places to see at Kumbanad
- Pamba River: 4 km
- Aranmula temple: 5 km
- Aranmula - Aranmula kannadi: 5 km
- Hanging bridge (Edanadu): 6 km
- Charalkunnu ;6 km
- Malanada Temple 2 km, Kumbanad - Arattupuzha Road
- Aruvikkuzhy Water Falls - 5.5 km
Kumbanad area is connected to Pathanamthitta, Kozhencherry, Chengannur, Sabarimala, Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi, Guruvayoor, Tuticorin, Coimbatore, Salem, Velankanni, Hosur and Bangalore by private and government operated KSRTC buses. Kumbanad has been included in one of the new stations in the draft plan for the Tiruvalla - Sabarimala railway line.
T.K.Road ( Tiruvalla-Pathanamthitta-Kumbazha Road / SH - 07 ) connects Kumbanad to main points in Thiruvalla, Manjadi, Kattode, Thottabhagom, Vallamkulam, Nellad, Eraviperoor, Pullad, Chettimukku, Maramon, Kozhencherry, Thekkemala, Nelikala, Elanthoor and Pathanamthitta. The Main Central Road from Thiruvalla connects to major towns/cities in Kerala. Muttumon connects Kumbanad to Kurianur, Mallapally, Vennikulam and towns in Kottayam district. The road from Kumbanad Junction connects to Arrattupuzha via Kareelamukku, Othera, etc. and further on to Chengannur. Valathukara Canal can be seen on this route
Bus Stations :
Nearby Places in Tiruvalla
- Noel Memorial Higher Secondary School
- Brethren English Medium High School
- Grace Mount Public School
- Nellimala EALP School
- Govt. UP School Boys
- Govt. Girls LP School
- Govt UP School, Vattakotta
- Indian Bible College
- Indian Theological Bible College Nellimala-Kumbanad
- Fellowship Mission Hospital
- River of Life Ministries Nellimala
- Poovathoor Bethel Marthoma Church, Kadapra Kumbanad
- KUMBANAD Marthoma Valiapally
- St. Paul's C. S. I. Church, Kumbanad
- St. Mary's Oorselem Orthodox Church, Kumbanad
- St.Thomas Marthoma Church
- Salem Marthoma Church
- Paingalody Bethel Marthoma Church
- Vattakottal Christ
- Bethel Marthoma Church Nellimala Kumbanad
- Indian Pentecostal Church (ELIM)
- Indian Pentecostal Church (IPC, HebronPuram)
- Church of God (Full Gospel) in India, Bethel Kumbanad
- IPC Ebenezer Church Thattackad
- Koorthamala Church
- St. Pauls Marthoma Church, Palakunnu
- Evangelical Church
- Exodus Revival Church
- Brethren church
- Catholic (LC)
- Orthodox Church
- Celone Pentecostal church
- St. Paul's Malankara Catholic Church
- Bethel Marthoma Church
- St. Thomas CSI Church Kumbanad
- The Pentecostal Mission (TPM)
- Assemblies of God
- Born again (Christianity) Church
- Presbyterianism Church
- Nondenominational Christianity Church
- Baptists Church
- Pentecostal Maranatha Gospel Church
- Anglican Church of India
- Various Independent Pentecostal churches.
- Many Born Again Baptized / Nondenominational Christian Bible teacher's Worship Houses.
- Koorthamala St Marys Orthodox & Marthoma Pazhaya Palli
- Koorthamala St George Orthodox Chapel kadapra
- Koorthamala St John's Orthodox Chapel koipuram
- Koorthamala St Thomas Marthoma Church
- "Family history". Retrieved 18 October 2010.
- "Kumbanad". Independent Media Center. Retrieved 18 October 2010.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- Tapash Talukdar; Anirvan Ghosh (15 December 2009). "Recession a rude wake-up call for NRI-rich villages". The Economic Times. Retrieved 16 October 2010.
- T V R, Shenoy (13 Feb 2004). "Without regard for caste, creed or politics". Rediff News. Retrieved 19 October 2010.
- Mary, John. "All Morbid Mansions". Outlook India. Retrieved 19 October 2010.
- "Healthcare in Kumbanad, Kerala - Page 1 | Quickerala.com". www.quickerala.com. Retrieved 2016-03-13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kumbanad.|