Location of Kumlinge in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Christian Dreyer|
|• Chairman of municipality council||Mats Perämaa|
|• Chairwoman of municipality executive board||Gun-Mari Lindholm|
|• Total||99.09 km2 (38.26 sq mi)|
|• Land||99.26 km2 (38.32 sq mi)|
|• Water||761.12 km2 (293.87 sq mi)|
|Area rank||299th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||311th largest in Finland|
|• Density||3.17/km2 (8.2/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Swedish||89.2% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||8.9%|
|• 15 to 64||63.6%|
|• 65 or older||27.5%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||18.5%|
The municipality has a population of 315 (31 March 2016) and covers an area of 99.09 square kilometres (38.26 sq mi) of which 761.12 km2 (293.87 sq mi) is water. The population density is 3.17 inhabitants per square kilometre (8.2/sq mi).
The Kumlinge Airfield is situated on the main island.
The first visitors to Kumlinge were Vikings who stopped there during their voyages. The first permanent residents arrived in the 13th century. According to taxrolls from the 16th century there were about a dozen houses on the main island at the time, home to mostly farmers and fishermen. In the 20th century the population of Kumlinge slowly began to decline.
The church in the village is dedicated to St. Anne and dates from the 15th century. There are two farm museums in Kumlinge: Hermas museigård and Sjölunds gårdsmuseum. There is also a memorial stone in Fälberget which is dedicated to the war of 1808 when a Russian battalion was defeated in the village of Kumlinge. The old post route also goes through Kumlinge. There is also an old but still operational pharmacy on Kumlinge that is well worth a visit with its old inventory.
There is a growing number of geocaches on Kumlinge that take you to extraordinary places all over the island.
- "Population density by area 1.1.2016". Statistics Finland. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kumlinge.|