|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Nearest city||Kollam City(14 km)|
|Sex ratio||1069 ♂/♀|
Kundara is a landmark city in the history of Kerala, due to its association with the "Kundara Proclamation" made by Velu Thampi Dalawa on 11 January 1809. Apart from its historical significance, Kundara is a fast re-emerging industrial town, which is set to be a satellite town of Kollam city. Kundara is 14 km away from Kollam and 24 km away from Paravur. It is also a former Industrial hub in Kollam with major industries such as KEL, Kerala Ceramics, Aluminum Industries Ltd and Laxmi Starch Factory.
- 1 Major Industries in Kundara
- 2 Famous Persons from Kundara
- 3 Transportation
- 4 Hospitals near Kundara
- 5 Schools & Colleges near Kundara
- 6 Main churches in Kundara
- 7 Temples near Kundara
- 8 Mosques near Kundara
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Major Industries in Kundara
The Kerala Ceramics Limited
The history of The Kerala Ceramics dates back to 1937 when the Maharaja of Travancore, Sree Chithira Thirunal set up one unit for Mining and Refining of China Clay and another unit for manufacture of Porcelain wares.
It became a fully owned Government of Kerala undertaking (under Companies Act) with its registered Office at Kundara, Kollam by amalgamating these two units in 1962. Link to The Kerala Ceramics Limited 
Aluminium Industries Limited (ALIND)
The Aluminium Industries (ALIND), Kundara is one of the leading Indian firms manufacturing aluminium cables. The factory established in 1946, had been remaining closed for the past 14 years. Business Work : Manufacturers Of Design Engg. & Projects For Railway Electrification And Switching Stations, Switchyards, And Current Transformers, Control Panels/desks, Control Relays, Distribution Boards, Ht Circuit Breakers, Power Control Centers Protection Relays.
Kerala Electrical and Allied Engineering Co. Ltd. (KEL)
KEL Kundara Unit has flagged off the dispatch of the first consignment of alternators to Tanzanian Railways in Africa. KEL has a mechanised foundry with ISO 9001- 2008 certification,the only foundry in south India having RDSO (Railway’s design wing) approval for manufacturing cast-iron components for railway rolling stock application. The foundry has a capacity of melting three tonnes of cast iron per shift.
Lakshmi Starch Ltd
Laxmi Starch Ltd is a Public Company incorporated on 28 February 1946. It is classified as Indian Non-Government Company and is registered at Registrar of Companies, ROC-Ernakulam. Its authorized share capital is Rs. 60,000,000 and its paid up capital is Rs. 29,215,000.
Technopark as part of the hub and spoke model of development is expanding its activities to Kundara, Kollam, which is 63 km away from the Trivandrum Campus. This is to tap the Kerala's unique advantage of uniform talent distribution, Infrastructure and supporting IT platforms. Kollam Technopark is located in 44.46 acres of prime land beside scenic Kanjirode Lake. This park is being developed as a Special Economic Zone. The road bus connectivity to the park need to be developed extending city buses to park would have helped. Another IT initiative in this region is ambitious Techno Lodge project in Cherumoodu – which's almost defunct now due to rampant corruption and ill management in local bodies.
Famous Persons from Kundara
- Kottoor Sadanadan (late)
- Kundara Johny (film actor)
- Suresh Babu (Indian long jumper)
- T. C. Yohannan (former Indian long jumper)
- Thirunalloor Karunakaran (renowned poet, scholar, teacher)
- N. P. Nayar (Indian freedom fighter)
- Dr. J. Rajmohan Pillai (Indian businessman)
- Palpu Pushpangadan (former Director of the Tropical Botanical Garden and Research Institute (TBGRI))
- M. A. Baby (Indian politician)
- By Road
Kundara is well connected by road with NH-208 (new name NH 744) connecting it to Kollam and Punalur, other roads are Kannanallur-Kundara, Kundara-Bharanikkavu, Kundara-Anchalummodu, Kundara-Nedumoncauv and Kundara-Perayam roads. Proposed NH220 is suppose to pass through Kundara, which's alignment is not yet finalized. Roads here are largely narrow served by KSRTC and numerous private buses.
- By Rail
The Kollam-Sengottai railway line passes through Kundara. There are two railway stations Kundara and Kundara East. The nearest major railway station is Kollam Junction. Almost 6 trains operates through Kundara connecting it with Punalur, Kollam, Kottayam, Ernakulam, Guruvayur, Trivandrum and Kanyakumari.
- By Air
The nearest airport is Trivandrum International Airport, at a distance of 80 km.
- By Water
Kundara is blessed with water transport potential to it's north through kanjiracode Kayal which forms part of Ashtamudi backwaters. However no initiatie has been done in this direction and water transport is entirely used by fishing boats now. In olden days before opening of most of the present day bridges country boats were active.
Hospitals near Kundara
. LMS Hospital
.Taluk Hospital Kanjiracode
.Welfare Hospital Elampalloor
Schools & Colleges near Kundara
- College Of Applied Science (IHRD), Hospital Jn. Kundara
- Little Flower High School
- M.G.D High School for Boys and Girls
- Marthoma School Arumurikada
- S.N.S.M. Higher Secondary School Elampalloor
- Trinity Lyceum Nanthirical
- St. Antony's Higher Secondary School Kanjiracode
- St Margaret's High School Kanjiracode
- Tots N Toys Kindergarten, Punnamukku Jn. Kundara
- KGV UPS, Elampalloor
Main churches in Kundara
- St. Thomas Indian Orthodox Church (Valia Palli), Pallimukku.
- St. Mary's Jacobite Cathedral, Arumurikakada, Kundara.
- Salem Marthoma Syrian Church, Arumurikkada.
- Kundara Seminary, Near MGD High School.
- Kaithakodu St. George Church, Near Vellimon.
- St.Antony's Chruch, Kanjiracode.
- St. Rita's Church, Nanthirickal.
- Nedumbaikulam St George Orthodox church(Kottakuzhy Pally)
- Nedumbaikulam St Mary's Orthodox church
- Kundara Sehion St Thomas Orthodox church
- Ambalathumkala St George Orthodox church
Temples near Kundara
- Kottoor Maha Durga Devi Temple
- Elampaloor Devi Temple
- Varattuchira Devi Temple
- Pujapura Temple
- Thrikkoyikkal Sree Maha Vishnu Maha Devar Temple, Perumpuzha
- Thettikkunnu Sree Mahadevar Temple
- Indilayappan temple
- Mangalashessry Sree Ardhanarishwara Temple, Kanjiracode Kundara
- Sree Krishna Swami temple ,Vellimon Jn.
Mosques near Kundara
- Elampalloor Muslim Jamath
- Thrippilazhikom Juma Masjid
- Kerala Ceramics, Ltd. "Kerala Ceramics Ltd". www.cdit.org. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kundara.|