Western Peripheral Expressway
|Western Peripheral Expressway|
|Maintained by National Highways Authority of India|
|Length||135.6 km (84.3 mi)|
|Major cities||Sonipat, Rohtak, Bahadurgarh, Badli, Jhajjar, Manesar, Nuh, Sohna, Hathin, Palwal|
Western Peripheral Expressway or Kundli-Manesar–Palwal (KMP) Expressway, is an under construction 135.6 km (84.3 mi) long Expressway in the Haryana state of India. Western Peripheral Expressway is expected to divert more than 2 lakhs heavy vehicles away from Delhi, which will help in maintaining good air quality in Delhi. The 53-km Manesar to Palwal section is operational since April 2016, and the rest kundli to palwal section became operational since end of July 2018.
The 135.6 km long Expressway has been divided into three sections of 45 km each, that cuts across four national highways — NH 1, NH 2, NH 8 and NH 10. There are 52 underpasses and 23 overpasses in this expressway. Many Flyovers and interchanges are being constructed at places where the expressway crosses state and national highways. Some major ones namely cloverleaf interchange with NH 44 at Kundli Sonipat where it starts just north of Delhi, NH 9 just northwest of Bahadurgarh Jhajjar, cloverleaf interchange with NH 48 south of Manesar, flyover and shortly a roundabout T interchange with NH 919, flyover and shortly a roundabout T interchange with NH 248A southwest of Sohna and cloverleaf interchange with NH 2 south of Palwal. In total 15 flyovers and 75 small bridges will be constructed on the Manesar-Palwal stretch and 30 flyovers and four railway overbridges will be constructed on the Kundli-Manesar stretch.
The DWP Expressway
From north-east to south-west,
- Kundli in Sonipat district
- Kharkhoda and Delhi border on Delhi-Gohana road
- Bahadurgarh on Rohtak road
- Badli on Badli-Gurgaon Raod
- Pataudi in Gurugram district
- Manesar in Gurugram district
- Sohna in Gurugram district
- Palwal in Palwal district
The 6-lane expressway will have parking lots, refilling stations, police stations, trauma centre, helipad, refreshment centres, and recreational facilities.
The Government of Haryana envisages development of profile land uses as Knowledge City, Medi City, Fashion City, Leisure and Entertainment Cities, Cyber City and Dry-Port facility along with other similar developments.
Multimodel Transit Centres
Haryana State Industrial and Infrastructure Development Corporation will build 5 Multimodel Transit Centres (MMTC) along this expressway at Sonipat, Bahadurgarh, Gurugram and Faridabad in the following places for which the land has been already acquired (c. Jan 2018):
- Kundli MMTS: Located at Kundli (Sonipat): between Rajiv Gandhi Education City RRTS station and WPE interchange.
- Bahadurgarh MMTS: Located at Bahadurgarh between bus stand and metro station.
- Ballabhgarh MMTS: Located at Ballabhgarh between Ballabhgarh Metro Station, bus stand and railway station.
- Panchagaon Chowk MMTS: Located in Gurugram between proposed metro station and RRTS station.
- Kherki Daula MMTS: Located at Kherki Daula in Gurugram near proposed metro station, Regional Rapid Transit System (RRTS) station and bus stand on the junction of Chhapra and Naihati villages.
The Western Peripheral Expressway was first proposed in 2003 along with Delhi Eastern Peripheral Expressway. It was envisioned as Build Operate Transfer (BOT) project to construct a 135.6 km, access controlled four lane expressway from NH 1 near Kundli Sonipat to NH 2 Palwal near Faridabad. Since Delhi would benefit from rerouting of the vehicular away from it, Delhi state agreed to bear 50 per cent of the land acquisition cost of the expressway. Haryana government began work on Western Peripheral Expressway project in 2006. The project was awarded to KMP Expressways ltd. with commercial operations supposed to begin in June 2009.
In June 2012, a revised deadline of May 2013 was fixed. Repeated delays forced the Government of Haryana to terminate the contract and pay KMP Expressways and lenders ₹1,300 crore (equivalent to ₹14 billion or US$200 million in 2017) as termination payment. Finally after intervention of Supreme Court of India in January 2016, the project was revived and new bids were invited. It was also decided to upgrade the expressway to a six lane expressway. The expressway is expected to be completed by June 2018.
- On 5 April 2016 the 53 km stretch between Manesar and Palwal was opened for public use.
- Oct 2017, expressway is expected to be completed by March 2018.
- Nov 2017: 65% work completed,on track for March 2018 completion.
- Mar 2018: It could be open for public use in June, 2018. 
- May 2018. Road to be opened for public use in June, 2018.
10th Aug 2018 : <Highway not ready , deadline of June 2018 also expire>
- Kumar, Ashok (9 April 2015). "Work on KMP Expressway to start soon". The Hindu. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "3 projects in Haryana to be completed soon".
- Barman, Sourav Roy (28 May 2018). "First 'Smart' highway holds out hope for a congested, choking capital". The Indian Express. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Jha, Kundan (2 June 2018). "Work on Western Peripheral Expressway to be expedited". The Sunday Guardian. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Sinha, Bhadra (24 February 2018). "Both expressways to bypass Delhi will be functional by June end, SC told". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- "Residents of Delhi to wait for another 3 months to get breather from heavy vehicles, subsequent air pollution".
- "After 9-yr delay, KMP eway to be completed by August".
- Dash, Deepak K (11 Nov 2017). "Ring bypasses may be ready in 3 months". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- "KMP to miss August deadline too, could take 3 more months".
- "Chaos, theft, accident: All is not well with Delhi's 'smart' eastern expressway".
- "KMP e-way to partially open in March". The Indian Express. 22 December 2010. Retrieved 22 May 2016.
- "Haryana govt to set up multi modal transit centres". Outlook. 11 Jan 2018. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- "KMP Expressways achieves financial closure of BOT project". Money Control. 9 January 2007. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- Nangia, Tarun (14 July 2013). "Rough road ahead". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- "Western Peripheral Expressway likely to open next month".
- Nair, Vishwanath (5 April 2013). "Lenders ask developer to give up". Financial Express. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- Rao, Hitender (1 December 2014). "BJP govt in dilemma over KMP E-way project". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- Dash, Dipak K (23 January 2015). "Haryana asks Centre to take over incomplete expressway". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- Bhatnagar, Gaurav Vivek (24 February 2015). "KMP Expressway put on fast track". The Hindu. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- Dash, Deepak K (9 April 2015). "Finally, work on bypass e-ways begins". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- Dash, Deepak K (6 April 2016). "First leg of KMP expressway opens after 7-year delay". The Times of India. Retrieved 22 May 2016.
- "Palwal-Manesar stretch of KMP expressway inaugurated". The Hindu. 6 April 2016. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 22 May 2016.
- Sharma, Parvesh (30 October 2017). "Super Expressway to be operational by March". The Pioneer. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Dash, Deepak (11 November 2017). "Ring bypasses may be ready in 3 months". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- Pant, Shubhra (26 March 2018). "KMP to miss March 31 deadline, will need another month and half to complete". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- "KMP Expressway to be inaugurated in June: Hry CM". The Pioneer. 20 May 2018. Retrieved 5 June 2018.