|County||Västra Götaland County|
|• Total||682.43 km2 (263.49 sq mi)|
|• Land||362.59 km2 (140.00 sq mi)|
|• Water||319.84 km2 (123.49 sq mi)|
|Area as of January 1, 2014.|
|Population (December 31, 2016)|
|• Density||63/km2 (160/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
The present municipality was formed in 1971 through the amalgamation of the City of Kungälv, the City of Marstrand and territories belonging to four rural municipalities. In 1974 a minor part (situated on the island of Hisingen) was transferred to Gothenburg Municipality.
Geographically it borders to Gothenburg Municipality (south), Ale Municipality (east), Lilla Edet Municipality (north-east) and Stenungsund Municipality (north). To the east flows the river Göta älv and to the south, marking the border to Gothenburg, flows the river Nordre älv. On an island in the river, the Bohus Fortress (one of Sweden's finest fortresses) faces the city of Kungälv.
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (Microsoft Excel) (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2016" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. February 21, 2017. Retrieved February 21, 2017.
- Picture before the 2016 final
- Picture from the prize ceremony of the 2016 final
- Kungälv Municipality - Official site